Joining a Clan

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by icegoat63, Oct 14, 2009.

1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

For anyone who may wander in here wondering what the Hell I mean by Joining a Clan... basically Clans are groups of Gamers who have clubbed together to play video games with each other online. Most prevalently in First Person Shooter games like Halo, Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc but every once in a while in sports games. The main goal of a clan usually being the emphasis on playing as a team, or maybe helping each other grow in skill. Some people swear by their Clans, others wouldnt be caught dead in one. so what about you.....

Have you ever played online games with a Clan before?

if so how was the experience? Did you like it? Do you still play with that Clan?

if you haven't, why not? If you were to be offered to join a clan would you?

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I never did but I have played with the same group of friends before. Not an official "clan" though. I was always too busy to have that kind of free time for games. :lol:

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I think clans are great if you have no immediate friends to play with you.

Other than that, I've never had an inkling to play in one.

4. icegoat63

I spent about 90% of the time I played Call of Duty 4 with a Clan. I absolutely loved it and I will most certainly be looking to join another one for the next Call of Duty game coming out.

The experience was great because it makes the gaming so much better. I learned a ton of skill playing with those guys and hell even won two Shirts playing MLG tourneys with them :hah:

Me personally, I am very interested in playing with a clan. Its an absolute blast that adds to FPS's in my honest opinion. The only thing that makes a clan even more fun... is having a forum attached to it. I'll be trying my ever loving ass off to get my one Clan buddy to join GF this year, JUST so we can talk about COD6:MW2. :rofl: at my old forum he and I had well over 1,000 posts to each of us doing nothing but talking about how to improve our game and how the matches went the night before

5. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

There was talk a few years ago about getting a GF clan going for Team Fortress 2, one of the few games I play but it never panned out. I am hoping to get COD6:MW2 as well but I guess it will be out for Xbox, PS3 AND PC so even then chances are most people here who get it won't be on the same system.

6. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

I typically play with the same people online, especially with one guy from New Zealand. He's my wingman, and we always play everything together. A good long while ago, we decided we'd form a 'team', of sorts, when we started playing (predominantly Gears of War 2) with two other guys. Me and my gaming buddy made this team and asked the two other guy's to be our first recruits.

For a little while it was great. Because I've been playing with this dude for 10 months+, we play together extremely well. We were the leaders of the Clan, which we name Echo Squad. (Sort of an extension of the Delta Squad idea, which is the name given to the main character's squad in GoW2, but we also thought it sounded kickass.) Since then we've always had the rank system in our Bio's, and our rank in our Name section. The two guys we recruited left after a while, because they were brothers and squabbled all the time. Hardly great team players. :lol:

Since then one of the other guy's we've been playing for a good long time has joined our team. We play a good few games together, but mostly the Clan is just me and my wingman, since he's such a good friend and we can talk and laugh and dick about with anything.

Not much of a clan, I guess. But I like it. Gaming, for me, wouldn't be anywhere near as fun without him or Echo Squad.

7. icegoat63

I initially set up the COD6:MW2 thread to see who was planning on getting it and for what system... That was Step 1....

This thread was basically to see who had experience with clans... lol that was Step 2....

thanks for spoiling my Step 3 :hah:

What you need is a PS3 before you get Modern Warfare 2. PS3 > 360.... I now have experience with both Consoles and both Servers (Live vs. PSN), I can tell you in my experience the PS3 wins hands down. That and the majority of everyone that says they plan on getting COD6.... all have the PS3. If I can get enough people... I REALLY want to start a GF Clan, that right now is among Top Priority in my Plans for GF :hah:. Hell I'd even like to get an MLG account set up for us if we're good enough, have enough people, and especially enough dedication to play.

8. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I'll join a GF COD6 clan. I could use the help from better players since I'm new to it

:D

9. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I was part of a Halo 2 clan for a few weeks. It wasn't well organized or anything though.

We could start a GF Halo 3 clan if I ever get good enough to play with Swift and Veg.

10. Bjarki

Bjarki Registered Member

Yes, on two different games, Worms and Trackmania.

It is fun to play as a team. At least from my experience clan games are ten times more fun than regular ones. Particularly Worms was fun, since it's turn based, so there's plenty of time to have a chat in the meantime. Trackmania was hard, cause one tiny mistake and you lose a lot of time.. there was a lot more pressure involved. Also had a good time on there.

I played Worms for over 5 years, so I was pretty skilled at it and won some prizes with the clans I was in as well. I think I was part of some 20 clans or so, some for a very short time, some for nearly 2 years. In Trackmania I played for just one and mostly for the bottom divisions of leagues. I went inactive though and finally resigned a few months ago. The team is now considered to be sub-top, like top30 or so, which is pretty neat for such a big community (as compared to Worms, I bet CoD is waaaaay more busy).

Not part of anything right now.

If you were to be offered to join a clan would you?[/quote]

Probably yes.. it's a lot of fun and adds a lot to the gaming experience. I'm somewhat in doubt though as I was never any good with the social aspect of it. In the beginning it was all about team-play, now it's more and more about being friends for life and it is seriously frowned upon if you leave your squad. That's not the kind of clan I'd like to be in.
    I also think it's sad that a clan nowadays MUST have its own servers, a 500$ webpage, etc. etc. In the old days a simple geocities-page with a forum hosted on angelfire was sufficient :lol: Those were the days. :)