Johnson set for season-ending surgery, has 'no intention at this time of retiring'

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by teeps11, Jul 28, 2007.

1. teeps11

teeps11 Guest

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2952075

Maybe Randy should call it quits. He is getting up there in age and this injury is not a good sign. After all, 300 wins is just a number and he should be a HOFer even without reaching that.

2. Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy Registered Member

As much as I love to see "The Unit" pitch, I really believe he should bow out gracefully rather than risk further injury.

Hoosier.

3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Agreed, he's been a great pitcher for years, but he hasn't had a good season since his old Diamondback days, he should retire, a back injury is a serious injury, and I am afraid to say it, but he just doesn't have it no more.

4. TDG1987

TDG1987 Registered Member

The thing is, he wants to get to 300 wins (he has 284 right now) It's gonna be tough for him to get it. He'll be a Hall-of-Famer regardless.

5. Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy Registered Member

I'd say it'll be darned near impossible for him to get to 300. He needs 16 more wins and I don't think he can get anywhere near that coming off season ending back surgery. He might be able to get to 300 if he plays two more seasons, but I don't see that happening.

Hoosier.

6. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I don't see it either, I believe he should retire. There's no way that he can get 16 wins next season if he does decide to come back, so he would have to play for another two seasons. He's been having injury problems in the last few seasons, so I don't think he would be able to last that long.

7. andrew_bishop

andrew_bishop #1 Spammer of FC

His days are basically numbered now. It's near impossible to come back from this type of surgery and at his age and his status right now its likely not best for him to try and make a comback because as much as I don't want to have to say it , Tis basically over for the guy unless we see a dramatic turn around.

8. Vegito728

Vegito728 Registered Member

He should just retire. A lot of players don't like to retire on injuries but soem just have to and I think he's one of them that just should. He's a great pither probably a Hall of Famer but sadly his time is over.

9. andrew_bishop

andrew_bishop #1 Spammer of FC

I think he is in the hall for sure.

10. sanket

sanket Guest

He's still got the talent to be a decent pitcher for a bad team. Number three starter for a bad team is what he needs. Either that or pitching out of the bullpen, he still is Randy Johnson.