• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Johnny Depp As the Mad Hatter (Pics)

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Johnny Depp is currently filming Alice in Wonderland with Tim Burton. He plays the Mad Hatter, which was to be expected.

The look of the character threw me off a bit though.

This is one creepy looking mad hatter. I kind of wonder how he will portray the character. It almost reminds me of Edward Scissorhands in some ways. Really though, this is just one weird Mad Hatter. He does look pretty crazy.

High or low voice? I'm not sure. I'm guessing high. I almost want to say that he'll play a Willy Wonka style character for this but I think he will probably surprise fans with a fresh character that is different in many ways from characters he's done before.

My guess for how he will play this character:

1. Hyper, after all, he'll be drinking a ton of tea and coffee
2. High voice, it will remind of us Willy Wonka but he'll talk very fast. Maybe even a slight helium feel to it. Maybe a stutter as well. Probably an English accent too.
3. Jittery movements. Movements will be either very big or very small but nothing in the middle. Think Kramer meets Joker meets Porky Pig.

That would be my guess. I can't wait to see this movie though, and especially he this character is portrayed.

Last edited:

Bliss

Sally Twit
I saw this picture the other day and I think he looks awesome. He is probably the best person when it comes to changing his image completely. Edward Scissorhands, Willy Wonka, Jack Sparrow and now Mad Hatter! I too can't wait to see this film. He looks like he'll have a high voice and he'll be very hyper.

I heart Johnny Depp.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Lol - I was thinking you meant The Mad Hatter from Batman. I was going to say how surprised I was that there'd be anything like that so soon (unless it was fan made speculation), and that Mad Hatter seemed like a slightly odd pick for the next movie, since Nolan has committed to making the Batman movies so realistic.

I think they went a little too overboard with that Hatter. I know it's supposed to be overboard - I just think it was a little too much. But maybe it'll work.

Last edited:

viLky

ykLiv
Lol - I was thinking you meant The Mad Hatter from Batman.
Me too, Wade. lol

He resembled Charlie from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (yes, I know they are one in the same) to me. I'm curious to see if he'll take the character personality he played in that movie and use some of it here. The only difference is Mad Hatter is cranked on up the speed and thus needing more movement and wildness. haha

Last edited:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I'm pretty sick of Burton fucking up good stories and this looks like it will be no different. I'm going to avoid it at all costs.

Hiei

The Hierophant
I don't know how I feel about how he looks. I really like his hat and how his hair is fucking huge, including the eyebrows, but his facial makeup just doesn't quite do it for me. I'm not sure what it is, but something doesn't seem right about it. I'm kind of excited to see how he does as the Mad Hatter, but the Mad Hatter isn't even a huge part of the Alice in Wonderland story, is he? I didn't read the story, but I don't remember him playing much of a part besides the tea party.

That being said, I think he's a great person to play the Hatter, but I still don't get all the excitement over it as he'll only be in the movie for about half an hour, unless they change the story so he's a more active role.

He is probably the best person when it comes to changing his image completely. Edward Scissorhands, Willy Wonka, Jack Sparrow and now Mad Hatter!
I think he did a fantastic job portraying Hunter S. Thompson in Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas. I think he really is great at looking like whomever he's playing.

Me too, Wade. lol

He resembled Charlie from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (yes, I know they are one in the same) to me. I'm curious to see if he'll take the character personality he played in that movie and use some of it here. The only difference is Mad Hatter is cranked on up the speed and thus needing more movement and wildness. haha

Charlie was the little boy. I think you're talking about Willy Wonka. ;) But I agree with you on everything else.

Blueyes

Registered Member
Why is it that Tim Burton is always remaking these movies? He's got a serious man crush on Depp to considering he keeps putting him in his movies but then again, he always gets money from them too *shrugs*

I think I might bypass this one as well.

wooly

I am the woolrus
I'm the same as Hiei, the make up ruins it for me. But then i guess Burton can't help but having all his cast in pure white make up with big eyeshadow on :p As soon as i heard the film was being made as well i knew Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter would be in it somewhere, it was just a matter of who they were playing!

Might be a pretty good version though, pretty good cast. I'm particularly looking forward to Stephen Fry as the Cheshire Cat!

Hiei

The Hierophant
I know this thread is about Johnny Depp, but Here's a question for you concerning Alice.

Anne Hathaway as Alice. Why couldn't they dye her eyebrows?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think he looks awesome, and I think everyone agrees that he's the perfect guy for this character. I always thought Mad Hatter was the best character from Alice in Wonderland, so I'm really pumped that Johnny Depp will be portraying him. I don't know how good the movie is going to be as a whole, but I know Depp won't disappoint.