John McCain suspends campaign - no really

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by MenInTights, Sep 24, 2008.

1. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

Political stunt or not?

I thinks its a bold move and I admire the guy. I agree with McCain that the problem has to be solved.

McCain seeks to delay debate to focus on economy

Another article:

2. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

to focus on the economy that he helped ruin with his calls for deregulation for the last 26 years?

in a word - MANIPULATION

3. MenInTights

Do you think Obama will follow suit and suspend his also?
    A few days ago it came out that neither of these guys were going to vote on the bailout so they wouldn't take a 'wrong' position. That irked me. This is what I admire most about the McCain decision. If you want to be President, show some leadership - take a stand on the most important policy decision of the last 50 years. If Obama follows, I think that would be great and I would have the same admiration for him.

4. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

By neither, do you mean Obama and Biden or Obama and McCain? From the looks of it McCain is going to be involved with the decision.

This might not be a good time to vote "present" with the entire nation watching.

5. MenInTights

McCain, Obama and Biden were all going to vote present as of a few days ago. Voting present may make sense politically, but its the wrong thing to do.

Last year out of everybody, both Democrats and Republicans, that were running there was only one guy that supported the surge in Iraq. Everybody else was on the 'safe' side of the issue. Its the right thing and I think its too important to politicize it. I mean the guy is one out of 100 in a divided Senate and he welds a lot of sway. His vote is important.

When McCain says this:
    If we do not, credit will dry up, with devastating consequences for our economy. People will no longer be able to buy homes and their life savings will be at stake. Businesses will not have enough money to pay their employees. If we do not act, ever corner of our country will be impacted. We cannot allow this to happen.

I believe him. Paulson. Bernanke and CEO's of major corps have said the same thing. I don't really understand it, but I really think McCain does.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  6. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well as Rudy Giuiliani said at the RNC, there is no "Present" vote as Mayor or Governor.

Both Senators Obama and Biden are going to need to take the opportunity to show the American people that they are ready to make the tough decisions and not simply vote present.

Personally I hope they do vote present. It will show America their true goal of "Campaign First" as opposed to John McCain's stance of "Country First".

7. MenInTights

I'm trying to not look at this as political. If Obama suspends the debate and goes back to DC, that would be great. And it would mean absolutely nothing that McCain was the first to do so.
    But, if Obama votes present and forces the debate on Friday, its going to be real clear he's Campaign First.

8. Gavik

Gavik Registered Member

Disclaimer: Despite what you may think of my political ideology, I hope you all know that I'm not one to start up the flamethrower at the first sign of my ideas being challenged. Also, when I say "you," everyone should understand that I'm not referring to any of the above posters. That being said...

YOU'RE FUCKING KIDDING ME!? How stupid does McCain think the American people are? How low will he go to save his despicable campaign? Who won't he throw under the circular talk bus in order to get elected? Is anyone buying this? Are we as a country all that brainwashed? My god people, can't you see this is a desperate stunt from the handlers or a desperate old man?
    McCain is making his policy of "Country Last" abundantly clear with this suspension. Instead of informing the people on where he stands in the middle of the economic meltdown and how he helped cause it so they can make a legitimate choice in quite possibly the most important question ever, he's running from the debates because when it comes to the economy, Obama out shines him on every level.

Tell me, if McCain's intentions weren't so insidious, why didn't he suspend his campaign to fix these problems when they started? Awfully convenient for him to realize that he needed to do something - two days before the debates which he was forecasted to lose - about an economy which he said not only did he not know much about but also that it was fundamentally strong in the days of the worst Wall Street collapse since the Great Depression.

McCain in his own words "...I was chairman of the commerce committee. Every part of America's economy I oversighted."

The US economy is collapsing and you want the man who said he was in charge of it all to be president? How can you say that?

If McCain couldn't fulfill his duties as a US Senator and campaign at the same time, he shouldn't have run for president in the first place. I know mere "present" and skipped votes are rampant on the campaign trail to the White House, but that doesn't means it right, nor does it mean that McCain can claim to be helping and do just the same.

Jeanie and Duke1985 like this.
  9. MenInTights

Here, I bypassed all of your flamethrower attacks and condensed it to the following:

I don't see how those 2 go together. You make it seem like they're voting on which brand of cola they want in the lunchroom. The President called this a "Once in a century crisis." IF this situation is as serious as EVERYBODY in charge says it is, I want people who are in positions to weigh the evidence and make wise decisions, not vote present because they don't want to get their hands dirty.
    If that costs McCain the election, I'm fine with that.

10. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

2008 Presidential Debate | The University of Mississippi - Official Home Page
    The University of Mississippi community is pleased to host the first presidential debate of 2008 on September 26. Foreign policy and national security issues will be the focus of the 8:00 p.m. debate, and several related events showcase the university’s institutes and centers that are working to find solutions to this country’s challenges.

The first debate is on foreign policy. Which is McCain's strong spot. So I don't think that's what he's running from.