Joe Wilson: An Example of the American Political Problem

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Merc, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I don't agree with what he did, it was rude and uncalled for.

However, like many, I think his blunt honesty is what made him a political celebrity for the right in this country and believe it or not, the entire political spectrum. Now, I'm not calling for people to take to their podiums and shout at random intervals, but what I'm saying is to me, Wilson represents something America wants and has wanted for some time.

Wilson's outburst was of his honest-to-god feelings, something we never get from politicians and love to believe that "our guy" is trying to do. Politics is a game, it always has been. However what this has come to mean in the recent half century is that politicians simply take turns coming up with the most ludicrous promises and wishes in attempts to one up each other and win over the blissfully ignorant hope of the American people who have been led around in the dark for far too long.

So in summary, I think Wilson's incident has shown us that Americans want more vocal, honest and somewhat ballsy politicians. Perhaps not Wilson himself as he's far from an ideal candidate, but his example has enraged and brightened people equally.

Thoughts?

2. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I was thinking something similar. His timing was off, but it's annoying to vote for someone based on how well they play the political game.

3. Merc

I mean, like I said, I don't find the guy to be very admirable, but his actions are getting him some serious praise from the right wing. To be honest, I think it's because they haven't had a real go-getter of a candidate for a long, long time now. I mean, McCain was a gentleman and his running mate a box of rocks with makeup. Bush was never a real action oriented kind of guy and he won thanks to faulty voting machines the second time through.

I think we may soon see the end of dry politicians.

4. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I find him to be admirable, just not the shouting out "You lie" to be admirable. He's passionate about the subject, (and isn't that what we want from our politicians?), and he apologized personally to the president that same evening. I wonder how many times Pelosi, Reid, Kennedy, etc...apologized for some of the things they've ever said about President Bush?

5. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

In a media world where doing things the right way gets you completely and utterly ignored, I have to admire his tenacity here. If he would have come up to Obama afterwards and said what he said, that would have been it. I'll support it. Why not? Because it's politically incorrect to say anything but "It was sooo unprofessional!" I'll take the road less traveled here and say that I think it's about time somebody attempted to put Obama in his place. I don't think he should have apologized either. He should have stood by his actions and milked this in the press for as long as he could.

There are a ton of Americans who were cheering from their living rooms when he stood up and called Obama out. Sometimes you have to go to greater lengths to get your voice heard in today's media. I can't think of anything else he could have done to get even a minute response in the Obama loving media.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  6. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

You know what? I retract my statement that I found what he said to not be admirable. You're right, what he said showed tenacity and am glad he said it. More of our representatives should show such passion and stand up for what they believe is right and not just sit quietly.

7. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

That's just it though. Not saying these are quite the same scenarios, but look at people like George Washington. They get a lot of admiration and respect. Why? Because they sat there and took it or because they said "We're mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore."

Sometimes sitting around and talking (especially when the other party has all the votes they need even without you) is a complete and utter waste of time. Sure it was rude for him to interrupt the anointed one's speech. But it was more than called for if you ask me. I'd rather see politicians be more politically incorrect in their dealings with one another and perhaps affect some positive change, than see them sitting around watching silently and politely while Obama sells the rest of our country down the river.

8. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

Wow... looks like you fell victim to the media as well :-/

You can't attack her issues so you attack her personally. Real classy Cons :rolleyes:

9. Sim

Sim Registered Member

I'm not sure if it would increase the quality of American politics, if all politicians started interrupting each other, shouting at each other and making a show out of everything they do.

As I see it, the biggest problem (not just in America, but over here too, to a lesser degree) in politics is not that politicians are not passionate enough, but that the media needs to make a show out of everything that's said and done -- on the cost of rational debate between pros and cons. I'm afraid that if this trend continues, we'll soon have to exchange of arguments at all anymore, but instead a match of throwing shit at each other to get attention in the media, whose viewers confuse politics with a wrestling match.

10. Merc

I could attack her issues, I just didn't feel like typing up six pages worth of a post. Everything about Palin was pathetic and wrong. But this discussion is for another thread. Oh and try and leave this snide "Haha, the media got you!" attitude, it's a partisan view that is quite ludicrous when you realize that a majority of the media is run by right-wing moguls.

Sim, I think we've already reached that point. I'd bet you, especially in this country, only a minority of folks could name more than three issues from both McCain and Obama and what their stances on said issues were. People will always remember McCain for being old and running with Palin. People will always remember Obama for "Hope" and "Change". We think in terms of campaign slogans these days, it's ridiculous.