Joe the plumber

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Looked like a good conversation and Obama explained his tax plan to the guy. Is the tax plan good for Joe the Plumber? Who knows. But Joe the Plumber is only one man and Obama's tax plan benefits 95% of the country and will help build the economy from the bottom up.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
Looked like a good conversation and Obama explained his tax plan to the guy. Is the tax plan good for Joe the Plumber? Who knows. But Joe the Plumber is only one man and Obama's tax plan benefits 95% of the country and will help build the economy from the bottom up.
The poor don't employ people. Jobs work from the top down, Regonomics should have proved that. :)

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
The poor don't employ people. Jobs work from the top down, Regonomics should have proved that. :)
The more money the poor have, the wealthier the rich become. I think it can work either top down or bottom up, it just has to be implemented effectively. I'm not convinced McCain's plan is any different than Bush's.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
The poor don't employ people.
No, but they tend to spend their money instead of hoarding it, which benefits the economy immeasurably.

Jobs work from the top down, Regonomics should have proved that. :)
Should have, or at least could have, but didn't. Our national prosperity, as I'm sure you're aware, always fares better during Democratic administrations. And what was it that George H.W. Bush called the trickle-down theory when he was running against Reagan in 1980? Oh, yeah: "voodoo economics." Not exactly a ringing endorsement there by the Gipper's fellow Repub.

By the way, I'm fairly certain that no economist has ever espoused the idea of Reaganomics as sound -- or can you find a source that I've missed?

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
No, but they tend to spend their money instead of hoarding it, which benefits the economy immeasurably.
But they have to get this money from somewhere. Either by working for the wealth producers or via free checks from the government.

Should have, or at least could have, but didn't. Our national prosperity, as I'm sure you're aware, always fares better during Democratic administrations. And what was it that George H.W. Bush called the trickle-down theory when he was running against Reagan in 1980? Oh, yeah: "voodoo economics." Not exactly a ringing endorsement there by the Gipper's fellow Repub.

By the way, I'm fairly certain that no economist has ever espoused the idea of Reaganomics as sound -- or can you find a source that I've missed?
Our economy was fine until 2006. Remember Nancy Pelosi promising low gas prices and a good economy in 2006 when the Dems were put in control of congress? Its taken a turn for the worse since then. There are more factors then just the President.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
^ Both points taken, pro, but the trends continue nonetheless. And '06 was still King Shitmidas' watch, as history will undoubtedly note.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
^ Both points taken, pro, but the trends continue nonetheless. And '06 was still King Shitmidas' watch, as history will undoubtedly note.
Just like the "surplus" and economic growth was on Clinton's watch. What you don't hear that it was a Republican congress that Clinton had to work with that passed much of this legislation...

Just sayin' :rolleyes:

Tucker

Lion Rampant
Just like the "surplus" and economic growth was on Clinton's watch. What you don't hear that it was a Republican congress that Clinton had to work with that passed much of this legislation...

Just sayin' :rolleyes:
Yup, well, fasten your seat belt, 'cause it's looking like it's gonna be Dem on Dem in Washing Town for a while. Let's hope that none of your dire predictions for an Obama presidency will come to pass, eh?

(500th post... fuck yeah!)

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
McCain has the Joe the Plumber ads going with Obama saying "Spread the wealth around". This thing is going to turn votes. People relate to that. People look at this guy and think "Hey, if I go out there and work my ass off, 12 hours a day, I can make it in this country." That's the American spirit. That's conservationism at its core.

I've seen elections turn on one sentence like this before. "I invented in internet", "I voted for the war before I voted against it", "No new taxes". McCain's still in this game and he's going to play this one exchange with this guy for all its worth. This ain't going to be a 10 point election like some of the polls suggest.