• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Joe Rogan's contract. A blow to censorship.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag

Rogan's audio and video podcast will be exclusive to Spotify beginning next year. This is a huge deal. Today a new youtube was just founded. A new youtube that welcomes dissenting voices.

This is NOT about a $100M contract. Rogan grew frustrated that his content was being censored by FB, YT, Stitcher, ect. He then was told that there would be consequences if he had people on his show that didn't toe the line with WHO. The Bakersfield Doctors have been banned from these platforms and Rogan was warned to not have them or the Plandemic Doctor on or Alex Jones. So, Rogan said screw it, I'm taking it all to Spotify. Video and Audio. He also said screw California and is leaving the state.

Spotify. A Sweedish company that is more American than Facebook or Google.

Impaired

Registered Member
People do not understand censorship.

Your right to free speech is about what the government can and cannot do to your free speech. You have no free speech in my living room. I will throw you out and the police will assist if I call them.

You have no free speech in Facebook - you agree to their terms of service. YouTube can delete content at will. It is their service, their site. Their rules. This forum has terms of service. The other day a political thread was closed because the moderator didn't think it lived up to the guidelines here.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
People do not understand censorship.

Your right to free speech is about what the government can and cannot do to your free speech. You have no free speech in my living room. I will throw you out and the police will assist if I call them.

You have no free speech in Facebook - you agree to their terms of service. YouTube can delete content at will. It is their service, their site. Their rules. This forum has terms of service. The other day a political thread was closed because the moderator didn't think it lived up to the guidelines here.
You don't understand the difference between a platform and a publisher.
If YT is a platform then in exchange for allowing freedom of speech, they cannot be sued for libel, defamatory or copyright infringement. However, when they decide that the Bakersfield Doctors are too dangerous for the public, then they act as a publisher and are not protected under Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act.

They can be a publisher if they want. Nobody has an issue with that. However they will also be subject to every lawsuit every time a Britney Spears song is played without Britney's permission. Among a billion other reasons to sue them.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
FB, YouTube, Twitter, whomever, has the right to delete whatever they want. I wouldn’t do it, because I believe in acquiring as much information as possible, but they are private businesses that can do whatever they want.

So can Rogan. Good for him for doing this. Information that goes against “conventional wisdom“ is a good thing. Information that questions is a good thing.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
FB, YouTube, Twitter, whomever, has the right to delete whatever they want. I wouldn’t do it, because I believe in acquiring as much information as possible, but they are private businesses that can do whatever they want.

So can Rogan. Good for him for doing this. Information that goes against “conventional wisdom“ is a good thing. Information that questions is a good thing.
What is your take on the Platform vs. Publisher argument? I learned this from Ted Cruz. Is it correct?

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
What is your take on the Platform vs. Publisher argument? I learned this from Ted Cruz. Is it correct?
I do think it’s a valid argument. IF they are a publisher and protected under Section 230, then they can’t quash anyone’s speech. They have to choose. Either they accept those protections, or they don’t. I would love to see the doctors file a lawsuit and take up to the SCOTUS, and see how they rule.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I do think it’s a valid argument. IF they are a publisher and protected under Section 230, then they can’t quash anyone’s speech. They have to choose. Either they accept those protections, or they don’t. I would love to see the doctors file a lawsuit and take up to the SCOTUS, and see how they rule.
It would be lol to see the doctors sue YT for libel because they couldn't respond to the allegations against them on YT.

I honestly think Spotify can compete g head to head with YT. Call it censorship or whatever you want but YT has created a huge hole in the market over the last few months.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Good for him. I no longer really listen or watch him anymore, but I can't hate on his success or that nice sized payday. Haha.

As for Spotify, I actually enjoy it quite a bit. I became a paying listener when Joe Budden signed with them for his podcast a few years back. I have since lapsed but it's probably my favorite music/podcast service out there.