Joe Mauer

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

If you follow baseball closely you know that Mauer has gotten injured a few more times then the average player so far in his career. We all know that playing the catching position is probably the toughest on the body of ball players.

Now my question is this, if your in charge of the Twins do you remove Mauer out of the catching position and you move him to first base or DH?

Now you have to take into consideration that Mauer is a hell of a defensive catcher, he works really well with pitchers and he has a strong arm.

Thoughts?

2. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

Absolutely not. Yes, he's offensive numbers are absolutely wonderful, and boost the team, but his true value is behind the plate. He calls an insane game, allows some of the fewest passed balls and has a catcher's mind. He uses all that to help improve his offense.

There is no chance in hell I'd remove him from Catcher.

3. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

I would certainly consider it but guys like Fisk and Bench have done just fine getting through multiple seasons. If Mauer wasn't so damn good defensively then I think they would have already done it.

I don't think its necessary to do right NOW but its something they should monitor and maybe in a couple years re-evaulate...especially if they have someone who is good and can replace him,.

4. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

What I'd probably do is pull him during blowouts to rest him, and stick him in at DH when it becomes likely that you're not going to compete this season (you still want to give him playing time).

Of course, I'd talk with him about it beforehand - the last thing you want to do is make him upset.

5. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

Then how do you expect him to know how to handel his pitchers in seasons where they are supposed to be "competing."

I still maintain that you have to play him as a catcher first and an offensive genius second.

6. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

No I would not move him to another position. His true value is how damn good he is behind the plate. I may reassess that in a few years but for right now I'd leave him eactly where he is.

7. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Very tough decision because like it's been said many times said having a great defensive catcher that works well with pitchers, calls great games, has a tremendous arm and he's one of the best defensive catchers in the league.

But on the hand he's one of the best hitters in the league, he hits for average, he's starting to hit for power.

Playing Catcher takes a lot punishment on the knees, and we already know Mauer has a history of being injured since entering the league. You need your legs to be a good hits, hips and legs are two of the most important body parts when it comes to making contact with the ball.

So I say you still play him catcher once or twice a week, depending on your schedule then you rest him and play him as DH.

8. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

The Twins probably aren't going to decide they're not competing until late in a season. And you can still stick him at catcher once in a while.

The problem is, when he's hurt he's no good as a catcher OR a hitter.

9. Kratzenkov16

Kratzenkov16 Registered Member

if he gets hurt again then i'd tell him its not worth it...

for NOW i think id keep him at the position hes the best at

10. SqueakScolari

SqueakScolari Registered Member

This is a tough decision but I believe if the Twins are able to sign Mauer long-term after this season, they should move him from behind the dish.

I won't argue with anyone who says Mauer has tremendous ability behind the plate because he does. But I will argue Mauer is a lot more valuable to the Twins offensively in the lineup than he is defensively behind the plate.

Mauer is a one-in-a-generation hitter and is really athletic. I don't think it's just a matter of moving him to 1B or DH, I think if he worked on it, he could play third or a corner outfielder. Saving his knees will be crucial. Look at Piazza near the end of his career; he still had the bat but his knees were such a wreck he could hardly even play first base. You have to move Mauer now before something hampers his ability to play elsewhere.

If I'm Minnesota and I get Mauer locked up for a longtime, I'd move him because I would rather have him atop the AL batting leaders as a infielder/outfielder in 10 years opposed to having him stuck at DH and seeing his offense suffer because he lost most of his athletic ability from years of catching.

While I agree a catcher's job is primarily defense, Mauer will have legitimate shots to hit .400 in his career. And I wouldn't want to jeopardize him contributing that to my team because his knees were wrecked from years of catching.