Joe Calazaghe retires

Bananas

Endangered Species
Calzaghe retires with 46-0 record

For months, light heavyweight champion Joe Calzaghe has been saying he would probably retire.
On Thursday, he did.
Perhaps the greatest fighter in Welsh history, Calzaghe, a two-division world champion and one of the best fighters pound-for-pound in the world, announced his retirement from boxing, saying he had nothing left to accomplish.
[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Frank Franklin IIJoe Calzaghe outpointed Roy Jones Jr. on Nov. 8 in his last fight.

"It was a difficult decision but I have achieved everything I wanted to achieve in boxing. I've been world champion for 11 years. I've got no other goals to go for. That's why I am calling it a day," Calzaghe, 36, told BBC. "I had a long think with my family. My children wanted me to give up, plus my mum. That's why I called it a day and will go on to do something else. My decision is to retire. I've been boxing for 25 years and, like I said, I've achieved everything I want to achieve."
Calzaghe is walking away as one of the rare fighters in history to retire undefeated. At 46-0 with 32 knockouts, Calzaghe dominated the 168-pound super middleweight division. He won a vacant belt by outpointing former champion Chris Eubank on Oct. 11, 1997, and made 21 title defenses during an 11-year reign until moving up to light heavyweight, where he outpointed Bernard Hopkins to win the title in April in his first fight in the United States.

Its a shame to see him retire, I would of liked to of seen him have a couple more fights both at home and in the USA, as his presence was never fully appreciated or promoted west of the Atlantic. It would of also been good to see him go for Rocky Marciano's unbeaten record, he was only 3 fights away but still 46 undefeated and holding two divisions is an accomplish in itself.

wolfheart

Registered Member
I agree its a shame to hear he is hanging up his gloves.
He was the only fighter for a long time who stood a chance of breaking Marciano's record,maybe if he had not damaged his left hand so often he could have got in a few more fights.

I just hope that he stays retired and does not try for a comeback in a few years time,he has left a fantastic mark on boxing and inspired many young hopefuls.
Just a shame that he never got the recognition he deserved years ago.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've only seen him box a few times, but man was he ever good. But to be honest with you I am really happy he didnt break Marciano's record. Even if he did I would still believe that Rocky's record was more impressive since the competetion was much tougher in my opinion.

Bananas

Endangered Species
I just hope that he stays retired and does not try for a comeback in a few years time,he has left a fantastic mark on boxing and inspired many young hopefuls.
I think he will stay retired, like he says he has nothing left too achieve so that would leave only something to loose. He said in an interview on TV he is going to go into Promoting. I imagine for that role he will automatically adopt some of the other fighters at Team Calazghe(and if anything is to go by their recent drive we have some formidable boxers coming through).

Babe_Ruth said:
But to be honest with you I am really happy he didnt break Marciano's record. Even if he did I would still believe that Rocky's record was more impressive since the competetion was much tougher in my opinion.
Marciano was also a heavyweighter where the punches are all the more brutal bu tcredit to Calzaghe there are not many fighters who can get to 30+ fights undefeated let alone 40+.

Heh, I was just going to jest that I'll look forward to his comeback fight. I do hope he resists future temptation though as that's a pretty impressive record and legacy to leave behind. Eleven years an unbeaten world champion. One of the great British (he was born in London, damnit! That's a blanket UK claim at least, if not the whole English monty. Okay, okay.. he's Welsh :rolleyes: :lick:) boxers. I didn't catch all his big fights but enjoyed watching him taken down Roy Jones last year, amongst others.

English-Emo-Boy

Supreme System Lord
V.I.P.
Yes, that is a shame as he is one of the best of all time.

He was right to call it a day though, too many boxers have that 'one last fight' and end up regretting it.

I bet he was tempted to go for the 50-0!

Maybe he will one day.