• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Joe Biden's latest on self defense (shocking)

dDave

V.I.P.
I'll just post a link to the Blaze because that's where I heard this story.

Joe Biden’s (horrible) advice on self-defense – Glenn Beck

Honestly, Biden has been a huge advocate of banning firearms, what really concerns me is his complete lack of responsibility on the subject.

Just think about this, somebody is breaking in to your house (or some other threatening activity) and he thinks it's a good idea to go outside? Not only does he think it's a good idea to go outside, but with your double barrel shotgun you should fire not one but two warning shots effectively disarming yourself by emptying your gun.

I wonder if this man has ever contemplated just how ignorant his viewpoint on the subject is.

Should somebody that is this completely unaware of what to do in a self defense situation be in any position of power in which he is allowed to decide how we are to deal with self defense?

I wonder if he's really just that ignorant.

Thoughts?

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
And everybody went on and on and on about Akin's comment and this is just as dumb, and most of the electorate thought Sarah Palin was too dumb to be VP....go figure.

This is stupid advice but I can't say I'm surprised. Firing a double barrel shotgun in the air, effectively using your ammunition on nothing, is bad advice. Sure using a shotgun at someone can be more accurate than an AR15 but you'll run out of ammo much quicker.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I guess I'm just confused here. Joe Biden suggests owning a firearm and using it as a deterrent before using it as a weapon. Why is this 'shocking'? Is it shocking that he didn't say, "Gun the bastard down before they get within speaking distance"? They're treating this quip as if Joe was teaching a class or reciting this exact step-by-step process from memory and that it was going to be put into law. He gave his opinion, he believes a shotgun is a good choice of defense weapon which I think is a very fair assumption and he thinks that warning someone off may be a better first option.

I'm pretty sure if someone was running at the house, frothing at the mouth and waving a nine millimeter around and firing wildly, Joe would change his mind. I think people like him simply don't buy into the very American concept of 'shoot first, talk to the press later'. We all know you have to assess a situation before you act and that rarely are you going to be presented with a scenario that requires knee jerk timing. It can certainly happen, but I don't think it happens nearly as often as people believe.

I think like Palin or Glenn Beck (not surprisingly, the owner of the linked site), we get hung up on small blocks of text or phrases and then run with them. This is not a news story, it's barely an opinion piece. Beck is doing what he does best here and is try to piss off his hive and convince more people that the government is coming after ALL their guns. Which is not true. Much in the way that anti-gun loons try to convince their followers that people with legally owned firearms are just rape-hungry murderers. Both sides of the gun debate need to grow up and address statistics, gun culture and the overall safety of Americans and stop with their petty agenda-mongering.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I guess I'm just confused here. Joe Biden suggests owning a firearm and using it as a deterrent before using it as a weapon. Why is this 'shocking'? Is it shocking that he didn't say, "Gun the bastard down before they get within speaking distance"? They're treating this quip as if Joe was teaching a class or reciting this exact step-by-step process from memory and that it was going to be put into law. He gave his opinion, he believes a shotgun is a good choice of defense weapon which I think is a very fair assumption and he thinks that warning someone off may be a better first option.
I don't think anyone is criticizing him for his suggestion of using a shotgun, a shotgun can be pretty effective actually, nor is anyone criticizing him for warning people, what he said was "IF you want to protect yourself" (emphasis mine) then went on to describe using all your shells at nothing. Would it scare off a common thief? Most likely. Would it scare off someone who's intent is to hurt, assault, kill, rape, whatever, not likely. He did give his opinion, and it was a pretty bad one.

I'm pretty sure if someone was running at the house, frothing at the mouth and waving a nine millimeter around and firing wildly, Joe would change his mind. I think people like him simply don't buy into the very American concept of 'shoot first, talk to the press later'. We all know you have to assess a situation before you act and that rarely are you going to be presented with a scenario that requires knee jerk timing. It can certainly happen, but I don't think it happens nearly as often as people believe.
That's the American concept? Really? Because that happens ALL the time? Kirby salesmen are shot everyday when they knock on people's doors because they mistake them for burglars, right?

I think like Palin or Glenn Beck (not surprisingly, the owner of the linked site), we get hung up on small blocks of text or phrases and then run with them. This is not a news story, it's barely an opinion piece. Beck is doing what he does best here and is try to piss off his hive and convince more people that the government is coming after ALL their guns. Which is not true. Much in the way that anti-gun loons try to convince their followers that people with legally owned firearms are just rape-hungry murderers. Both sides of the gun debate need to grow up and address statistics, gun culture and the overall safety of Americans and stop with their petty agenda-mongering.
Right, it's his opinion, and it's a bad one. The difference is neither I or you are on some special council appointed by the president to somehow come up with a solution to gun violence while this buffoon is.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
He did give his opinion, and it was a pretty bad one.
How? When did he say, "blow all your ammo on warning shots"?

That's the American concept? Really? Because that happens ALL the time? Kirby salesmen are shot everyday when they knock on people's doors because they mistake them for burglars, right?
Come on, don't start this game again. Quote where I said, "Everyone that knocks on an American door is shot". You can't, but I'll wait.

I said it was more American to react first and then try to explain it all and I don't think that's an unfair assumption. We see a lot of news stories about people getting attacked or shot because of someone with an itchy trigger finger and some deep-seated paranoia. I never once said it was all of America and I'm not sure how you determined this.

Right, it's his opinion, and it's a bad one. The difference is neither I or you are on some special council appointed by the president to somehow come up with a solution to gun violence while this buffoon is.
How much sway do you think the VP actually has with the American people? People certainly didn't listen to Cheney (well, most of us) and I think even democrats know that bumblin' Joe isn't exactly a beacon of intellect and clarity.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
How? When did he say, "blow all your ammo on warning shots"?
How many shells do you think a shotgun holds?

Come on, don't start this game again. Quote where I said, "Everyone that knocks on an American door is shot". You can't, but I'll wait.

I said it was more American to react first and then try to explain it all and I don't think that's an unfair assumption. We see a lot of news stories about people getting attacked or shot because of someone with an itchy trigger finger and some deep-seated paranoia. I never once said it was all of America and I'm not sure how you determined this.
It was hyperbole. Shoot first talk to the press later is NOT an American concept. IF it were it would be happening all day every day. It doesn't. Millions upon millions of legal gun owners never even fire their gun at anyone even when in a critical situation. Shooting at someone is always a last resort for the vast majority of law abiding citizens.

And why do we see occassional news stories about that scenario happening? Because it's rare. If it's rare it can't be considered a "concept".

How much sway do you think the VP actually has with the American people? People certainly didn't listen to Cheney (well, most of us) and I think even democrats know that bumblin' Joe isn't exactly a beacon of intellect and clarity.
I'll point out once again he is on this special committee to address gun violence and some of the things the president has instituted show a lack of knowledge about guns and will do absolutely nothing to curb gun violence.

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
Certainly nobody is saying that a shotgun is a poor choice for self defense.

The point is that a double barrel shotgun only holds 2 shots before you have to reload. Why would you go outside (something you really shouldn't do in such a situation) and fire BOTH of your shells? What this means is that you've just let the intruder know where you are, you have no shots left in your gun (until you reload), and you're vulnerable by being outside.

My point is that Biden is clearly unaware of standard etiquette for what needs to be done in a self defense situation. The question I pose is, how is he qualified to be making any decisions on this matter? (I realize he's only the VP, but he could be the president someday and he was in the senate for years and years voting on stuff like this). It really bothers me how somebody that is so uneducated on this topic can have such a strong voice.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Your standard garden variety double barrel shotgun holds two shells although it can hold more depending on the model, feeding system, and whether you have a pin or not. My single barrel .20 gauge holds 2+1, one in the chamber and two more. While not a bad choice because 1) shotguns are loud and 2) you're spraying pellets which makes it easier to hit your target, I'd much rather have my .40 handgun that holds 10+1 and is lighter and less bulky to carry. Plus I agree Dave, going outside and shooting in the air advertising your position would not be the advice I would ever give.

Like I said, he's entitled to his opinion, as goofy as it is, but he is in charge of coming up with laws or regulations regarding gun ownership which I find scary.

Last edited:

Wade8813

Registered Member
This seems like a mountain out of a molehill. Is his advice subpar? Probably. Is it terrible? Not as far as I can tell.

And for the record, the US military trains soldiers to fire warning shots in some situations. So it can't be the worst idea in the world.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
If I had a handgun with 10 or 15 shots I have no problem with a warning shot. If I have a shotgun with two shells shooting them both as warning shots seems ridiculous.