Job Qualifiactions

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
If you work (which i'm sure most of you do), did you need to get/do you have any specific qualifications for you job?

If you're unemployed, what's the dumbest qualification you've ever seen that was needed for a job?

Do you all think that these days employers concentrate more on how much time you've spent listening to a tutor go on and on while you nod, and less about skill?

Most of you know i don't work, but i do have my bog standard qualification for sitting and yawning in Mechanics. I've applied for jobs outside my qualification area, i once thought about applying for a receptionist job at a school, i had some experiance and i'm computer literate but i don't have the quals to prove it.

I also needed a level 3 in hospitality (or something stupid like that).

That has to be the dumbest qualification for something as simple as being a receptionist at a school. So to answer my third question, yep, employers conectrate more on those meaningless bits of paper than my skills.

I work with mentally handicapped people in group homes and have been doing so for almost a year and a half. Basically; I get paid really good money to sit on my butt all day. Ok not really- but most of the time. Depends on the house (my company has 16houses spread through out the city) and the functionality level of the residents. I do anything any normal person does- I help them with laundry, cooking, cleaning etc. I pass medicine and I had/have to be certified in CPR and First Aid, and passing meds.

I love it :) it allows me to do my homework at work if I get a chance and I really get to help people.

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
If you work (which i'm sure most of you do), did you need to get/do you have any specific qualifications for you job?
Yes, I did have specific qualifications. Apparently what got me the job out of all the other applicants was the layout of my CV.

Do you all think that these days employers concentrate more on how much time you've spent listening to a tutor go on and on while you nod, and less about skill?
No, I think they take into account your [proven] skills [from previous jobs] more than your diplomas/degrees.
Having no previous experience will change how the employer will look at you. In such instances one can do all they can in trying to sell themselves for the job.

Bananas

Endangered Species
I'd put experience before qualifications in most instances. Although that does not dismiss the importance of the qualifications and a good qualification is better than weak experiences.

It all depends on the field you intend to enter, most jobs encourage you to learn from the bottom up, having a qualification shows that willingness and ability, whilst just experience may be the result of not going any where.

Pugz; said:
Im studying at the moment, the field Im going into qualifications are ranked quite highly and real world experience even more so. Either you start at the very bottom and hope to move up, or you get as qualified as possible, then start at the bottom and hope to move up :-/ Im in a bit of a unique position though as I have real world experience prior to studying and soon I will also have the qualifications so hopefully ..... who knows

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I had no quals except my school ones for my job, and no experience either. All I had to do was sit through a day seminar after they'd hired me, which gave me a piece of paper to show i'd been there. I don't remember actually having to do anything that day. The place I work wanted someone who they could train the way they wanted though, I just needed to know how to use certain computer programs which I learnt at school and they showed me the rest.

Where I live at least, employers still go on skill over quals. If the people need the quals but have the skills then they employ them and pay for their courses.