Movies Joaquin Phoenix - I'm Still Here

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Hmmm...

IMDb Video: I'm Still Here

I have to say I'm not sure he's all there... at least based on how he presents himself.

What happened to this guy?

He was an incredible actor. To me, him switching to hip-hop music would be like LeBron James switching to being a golfer. I mean, look at what happened when Michael Jordan switched to baseball. Even he eventually came to his senses.

UNLESS, this whole switching to hip-hop thing is all some big extravagant act... but for what reason? Sadly, I think it's real. I fear we've lost an amazing actor and gained.. well, a hip-hop musician that I for one don't really care to listen to.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
There's a few reasons why Jordan went to play Baseball. First off, his dad was murdered and it was always a dream of his that Michael played Professional Baseball. Second, he couldn't take the spot light of being a Basketball player anymore. I tried to find a good picture, but couldn't. He had close to one hundred reporters at his locker after every game. It definitely takes a toll on you after a while.

Sorry to go off-topic here, but just wanted to clear that up. I was a huge fan of Phoenix before he went through that transformation of his. He was outstanding in Gladiator and Ladder 49. At first, I thought it was just a publicity stunt, and he would just come out and say it was a total act, but it seems like he's legit about this whole thing.

I for one hope he comes back to "reality" but I honestly doubt he will.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
This is either a) one of the most elaborate celebrity publicity stunt that's been going on for almost 2 years or b) he's actually lost it.

I hope he has some good personal reasons for ditching a respectable job as one of Hollywood's most classiest actors and resorting to this...

YouTube - JOAQUIN PHOENIX Rapping!!!!

How can you bring up his best roles and neglect to mention Walk the Line? Shame on you. Haha.

As for this, who cares, it's entertaining and if this is really what he wants to do... who are we to judge?

More power to him.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I never really cared for him as an actor to begin with. He was kind of dry and played a lot of the same characters. No one mentioned Ladder 49, either. That was a way better performance than Walk the Line.

I think he's flipped his lid.

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I did mention Ladder 49 Steve. I thought that movie was terrific and he did an amazing job. I never seen Walk the Line, and personally I don't believe I'll ever see it since its not my type of movie. But I did hear that his performance was fantastic in that film.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
He just didn't fit the attitude that I had envisioned for Cash. Sorry that I missed your Ladder 49 reference.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've seen Gladiator, Walk the Line, Signs, and Ladder 49, all with him starring, and I think he's a way better at acting than he could ever be at hip-hop. But then again who knows. Maybe once his album actually comes out and it's not some cheap cell phone recording quality I may have a different opinion.

It's funny because if he ends up being successful as a musician (ahem, hip-hop artist), they'll probably make a movie about him and have somebody else play him.

No one mentioned Ladder 49, either. That was a way better performance than Walk the Line.
Really? I loved him as Cash. Who else could have pulled off Johnny Cash like him? One of my favorite movies. I can watch that over and over. I have seen Ladder 49 once and thought.... ehhh... Haha, To each their own, I won't judge.

I agree Hybrix. He is a better actor than rapper. That is obvious.

Last edited: