• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Jimmy Kimmel Angers Gaming Community

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.

Jimmy Kimmel has recently angered the gaming community with this video. It pokes fun of people who watch other people play video games online, and he does it in quite a rude and offensive way. Also not in a way that is funny at all. The video so far has over 36,000 downvotes and only 3,000 upvotes haha.

I think the reason most people are mad is because he's talking about something that he has absolutely no knowledge about, and the things he's saying are hypocritical.

He likens watching other people play video games to going to a restaurant and watching someone eat your meal for you. Which makes no sense at all. By his logic he should have never watched a football match, since he could just play football himself. Or in fact, ANY type of sport at all.

He's definitely lost a lot of fans by doing this and annoyed the whole gaming community. Very stupid move.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
That's a problem sometimes with talk show hosts like Kimmel; they think they can get away with everything, even if they don't know anything about what they're talking about. You wouldn't see Conan or Jimmy Fallon do stuff like that. Hell, I'm sure that Stephen Colbert would've found a way to make it funny without being offensive. I don't watch Kimmel often so I don't know if that's his usual schtick.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I never understood why anyone would go online to watch someone else play video games. My old tenant used to do it and it was just mind boggling to me.

I'm not defending Kimmel here, and I haven't watch the video, but what is the fascination of watching someone else play video games online? Just play yourself.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I'm not defending Kimmel here, and I haven't watch the video, but what is the fascination of watching someone else play video games online? Just play yourself.
Why watch sports when you can play them yourself?

Either way, Kimmel is getting just what I'm sure they wanted: attention. I never cared much for Kimmel but people like him are hive kickers and they thrive on any PR they get. Not sure why the gaming community cares so much especially when game streaming is a billion dollar business.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Why watch sports when you can play them yourself?[
To me there's a huge difference between the two, but I guess to some there's not. Each their own I guess.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
I actually got a chuckle out of that... Which for Jimmy Kimmel is actually a rarity.

Maybe Youtube should have a channel where you can watch people write forum posts too, while we're at it.

- Cham

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I never understood why anyone would go online to watch someone else play video games. My old tenant used to do it and it was just mind boggling to me.

Its the same as watching sports. Baseball, hockey, football. They're all just games, like the video games are games. I watch a lot of games online. The content creators are talented enough to make it entertaining and keep you watching to laugh with them as they play the game the first time. You root for them to win just like rooting for a sports team.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think I should edit the thread title to "Babe_Ruth angers gaming fans"

In all seriousness. I just don't see I think I ken you guys do, and that's fine. I like playing video games, but can't stand there watching someone else play through a computer screen. That's just my two cents.

Rapier

V.I.P.
I'm sure his sponsors will miss their staring at their products instead of buying them.

I'm not positive but I think Kimmel is provided scripted stuff by writers and a director.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
To me there's a huge difference between the two, but I guess to some there's not. Each their own I guess.
Okay, if it's a huge difference, can you explain it?

Also, no one is angry with you, it's simply a massive industry with millions of people taking part in it. If I'm bored and nothing is on TV, I'll watch one of a few streamers I like play. I watch because I find those particular people entertaining. It's also a fantastic way to preview games before buying.