Jimi Hendrix v. Stevie Ray Vaughan

Discussion in 'Music' started by MAgnum9987, Apr 6, 2010.

1. MAgnum9987

MAgnum9987 Do What Thou Wilt

2. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I'd have to say that SRV played with a little more soul than Jimi did, but not by much.

As far as which one was better? That's kind of like asking which is better, 15 year old Glen Morangie or or 15 year old Glenfiddich. They're both fucking awesome.

3. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I agree with Jeanie, it's difficult to say which one was better. I have to say I love them both and listen to both of them often, but I prefer SRV just slightly.

4. ATARIGUY

ATARIGUY Beermister

SRV hands down, no question

5. bigyin96

bigyin96 Registered Member

Out of the few songs i've heard from the two artist i would have to say stevie ray vaughan. Texas flood is a great song and good to play on GH lol

6. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

There's no argument here...it's Stevie Ray Vaugh. Jimi is a little overrated as a guitarist. Hendrix DOESN'T deserve the reputation he has as the BEST guitarist... but that doesn't mean he isn't good. He DOES deserve a reputation as the most INFLUENTIAL guitarist, however. Any other argument, really, would be biased and untrue, as far as I can see.

7. JessEpiphany

JessEpiphany Registered Member

I think it's probably just a matter of personal preference. Me? Never been a big fan of Hendrix. Love me some SRV though. :)

8. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

wow, i'm surprised it's such a unanimous vote for SRV. I think Stevie Ray Vaughan is probably technically a better guitarist. He has such a clean sound and what he does is amazing. but when you consider factors such as creativity, variety and influence i think hendrix has to win out. While SRV might play the guitar a bit better technically, Jimi definitely writes better music on it.

i guess for me it's like if you got someone on youtube who is technically a better pianist than Mozart, but you wouldn't dream of saying he was "better than Mozart". And for me Jimi is one of the 20th century Mozarts! :p