Jimi Hendrix v. Stevie Ray Vaughan

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
This discussion comes up everytime I watch one of SRV's covers of a Hendrix song. Who is better, Jimi Hendrix, or Stevie Ray Vaughan?

I'm kind of torn. SRV has this
YouTube - Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood (Long version!)

Jimi Hendrix has this
YouTube - Jimi Hendrix - Wild Thing Live Monterey 1967

SRV has raw technical ability, while hendrix was a song writing master and supreme overlord of tone. Hendrix did things no one ever did or has ever been done since, while SRV could play better.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I'd have to say that SRV played with a little more soul than Jimi did, but not by much.

As far as which one was better? That's kind of like asking which is better, 15 year old Glen Morangie or or 15 year old Glenfiddich. They're both fucking awesome.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I agree with Jeanie, it's difficult to say which one was better. I have to say I love them both and listen to both of them often, but I prefer SRV just slightly.

bigyin96

Registered Member
Out of the few songs i've heard from the two artist i would have to say stevie ray vaughan. Texas flood is a great song and good to play on GH lol

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
There's no argument here...it's Stevie Ray Vaugh. Jimi is a little overrated as a guitarist. Hendrix DOESN'T deserve the reputation he has as the BEST guitarist... but that doesn't mean he isn't good. He DOES deserve a reputation as the most INFLUENTIAL guitarist, however. Any other argument, really, would be biased and untrue, as far as I can see.

wooly

I am the woolrus
wow, i'm surprised it's such a unanimous vote for SRV. I think Stevie Ray Vaughan is probably technically a better guitarist. He has such a clean sound and what he does is amazing. but when you consider factors such as creativity, variety and influence i think hendrix has to win out. While SRV might play the guitar a bit better technically, Jimi definitely writes better music on it.

i guess for me it's like if you got someone on youtube who is technically a better pianist than Mozart, but you wouldn't dream of saying he was "better than Mozart". And for me Jimi is one of the 20th century Mozarts! :p