• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Jim Tressel stepping down at Ohio St

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Saw this on rotoworld.com...

Ohio State head coach Jim Tressel resigned Tuesday.

Tressel was already facing a five-game suspension for providing false information to NCAA investigators, and he'll now turn the program over to interim head coach Luke Fickell. The loss of Tressel certainly won't help a team that will already be missing a few impact starters, including QB Terrelle Pryor, for the first five games of the 2011 season. Expect plenty of rust when the "Buckeye Five" return against Nebraska.
What are your guys thoughts on this? Especially Echoes.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think 90% or more of College Football fans expected this to happen in all honesty. I imagine they'll go after Urban Meyer not this season but the one after. Who knows if he'll accept the job though, maybe offer him a Nick Saban type of contract to pursuay him.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
My dad told me about this when I woke up this morning. It didn't surprise me or anger me or anything. Like everything else going on with this mess at Ohio State, it's just disappointing.

I appreciate the success he had as a coach, winning all those Big Ten titles, BCS bowls, a national title, and especially the 9-1 record against Michigan. Even though he angered me at times and I sometimes said I'd like to see him fired, he was still a great coach. But that said, it's time for Tressel and Ohio State to part ways.

Luke Fickell should do a good job as the interim head coach this year. I remember watching him play at Ohio State in the mid 90's, and he's been on the coaching staff for a while.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Goodbye and good riddance. I honestly never liked Ohio State, and this move makes me happy, because Tressel must of had some sort of connection to the cover-up of all those extra payments and cash influx to the big players.

They got what they deserved.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Just read about all of this in today's St. Louis Post-Dispatch for the first time...I hate when athletes on any level get away with stuff like this, and I hate when coaches are enabling this sort of behavior. If college players, in general, are going to get all of the respect for having that drive and hunger, they should also have a becoming character. If I were at the helm of this team I'd be suspending players or kicking them off of the team left and right, lol.

This is a link to the article I read, which is actually borrowed from the New York Times. It just goes into more depth than the quote in the OP. Putting it out there for those that are like me and haven't heard much about this.

Tressel bows out at Ohio State

This is a commentary from a St. Louis Post-Dispatch sports writer that I like a lot:

Burwell: Tressel got what he deserved

Vincent_Valentine

Studley-Do-Right
Like Echoes, this whole debacle at Ohio State the past few months has been more disappointing than anything for me. I'm not too terribly surprised that Tressel resigned. I'm actually kind of relieved. Hell, I hope that Pryor gets out in one way or another and we can just completely leave this era or stupid behind.

I appreciate the good things that Tressel did for Ohio State football, but we just couldn't afford to keep him while still trying to wave the "Integrity" banner. I'm looking forward to the 2012 season and a new beginning, and hopefully it will be the start of something great.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
They got what they deserved.
I agree, and I wish this kind of thing would get uncovered at all the other major programs as well. You'd have to be extremely naive to think this doesn't happen at every SEC school, Texas, Oklahoma, Penn State, Oregon, etc.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree, and I wish this kind of thing would get uncovered at all the other major programs as well. You'd have to be extremely naive to think this doesn't happen at every SEC school, Texas, Oklahoma, Penn State, Oregon, etc.
I remember saying that a few months ago, it happens in every major program in my opinion, but it's worst in the SEC.

Concerning Pryor, I think he's going to leave OSU soon. He'll most likely enter the Supplemental Draft.