• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MLB Jhonny Peralta, Cards close to deal

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Jhonny Peralta apparently headed to the Cardinals to play shortstop:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10026 ... -cardinals

I do wonder if the Cardinals will fork out the amount he wanted: four years worth 50 million. To me, that would be a bit too much for Peralta.

There's a few Cardinals fans on this board. Thoughts?

arock1234

Registered Member
According to mlbtraderumors, a team who offered 4 years 52M "weren't even close". If that's the case I don't see too much benefit here from the Cardinals. This is very unlike the Cardinals, to sign an aging player to a 4 year free agent deal to play SS. Pete Kozma is terrible but this hardly seems like an ideal solution. I see Peralta more as a 3B/DH now seeing that his range keeps getting worse year after year.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Peralta is overrated... St Louis is going to make a rare mistake in signing this guy for too much money. Peralta at SS is a scary thing. Peralta off the juice might be even scarier. Worst of all --$15/mil a year?

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Peralta actually took less money to come to St Louis. He told other teams he wanted 5 for 75 and he took 4 for 53 to come play in STL. A bunch of teams wanted him because the shortstop position is so light.

I think its an awesome deal. We got our SS and didn't have to trade a prospect.

As long as MLB Gm's reward drug offenders with these huge contracts there will be drug abuse in baseball. 50 games to be given a massive deal is not going to stop anyone from cheating it's going to make it more prevalent. If teams really wanted performance enhancers out of the game violators would be ignored during free agency and there would be language in contracts that makes them null and void if the player is caught using.
The fact that Bartolo Colon came back from his suspension better then ever is enough proof in my eyes that using does give an unfair advantage. If MLB is hell bent on destroying ARod they better do a better job of punishing other offenders if not it is just a joke. If I was a clean average Major Leaguer I would be a little more then discouraged and contemplating some kind of chemical enhancement in order to secure a large contract.

StroShow

V.I.P.
Well said Aaron! Everyone is telling Alex Rodriguez to shut up and serve his suspension, but he's bang on with his argument for appealing the suspension. A-Rod might've of done more compared to the other players, but it doesn't make him any worse than the other users. If his first suspension is 211 games, than same should be handed out to the colon's and peralta's of the world.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Difference with A-Rod is he refuses to take his punishment while guys like Peralta and Cruz admit a mistake, faced it head on, and paid their dues to the league.

StroShow

V.I.P.
The Millz said:
Difference with A-Rod is he refuses to take his punishment while guys like Peralta and Cruz admit a mistake, faced it head on, and paid their dues to the league.
I'm pretty sure their respective agents would tell them to appeal a 200+ game suspension. Serving a 50 game suspension is not a big deal IMO.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Dickey's Flow said:
The Millz said:
I'm pretty sure their respective agents would tell them to appeal a 200+ game suspension. Serving a 50 game suspension is not a big deal IMO.
Depends on their respective circumstance, IMO

Peralta and Cruz are first time offenders while they've got A-Rod for many things over many different periods of time thus resulting in a stricter penalty.

Although with that said I think it should be higher than 50 games for a first offense.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Nightsurfer Sports 0