Jeremy Roenick back w/ Sharks

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by Millz, May 23, 2008.

1. Millz

Millz Lance Catamaran Staff Member V.I.P.

rotoworld.com

Wasn't it like a year or so ago that Roenick was going to retire? I guess he figures he's got something left in the tank, who knows.

Last edited: May 23, 2008

2. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Well Doug Wilson and Roenick went way back, so Wlson dug him out and offered him a spot on the team so he could get his 500th goal and a shot at the Cup.

As a San Jose local, JR is fantastically popular--on par with Thornton and Nabakov. He scored nine GW goals this year and won three shootouts. He's not in that great shape at 38, but as a fourth line guy he's definitely a threat. So he only plays like ten minutes a game, but having him back in the lineup makes San Jose dangerous in all four lines, since JR's stickhandling and shot fucking rock.

The guy's gone 20 years without a Cup. I think he's thinking San Jose wiht a new coach might be able to help him fulfill his dream.

Millz likes this.
  3. padd

padd Registered Member

Well he is out of shape, it's 2 years now that he's been performing below of what is.. or should i say, what was expected of him. Before the lockout he was a very stellar player. I'm sure 2005 took a toll on him seeing that he did not play at all, 2006 and 2007 were horrible seasons on horrible teams. Last season was Okay, this guy needs to find his touch back, I know age can play a factor but if he wants to win a cup it's time to get back into shape and step up next year, that's why teams get verterans like him.

4. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

I referred to shape more in regards to age. If you saw him at any point in the last twenty games of the season or the playoffs you wouldn't not say he's not stepping up. He routinely led the Sharks in hits and can dance around the zone pretty well. Ten game winning goals was second in the league, what the hell do you want from him? 60 points as a fourth liner? Get serious.

5. padd

padd Registered Member

In that case; JR is a washed up player. He makes the biggest excuses for when he doesnt play good.. damn, in 2006.. he said the only reason he didnt reach the 10 goal plateau was due to his.. poor equipment.. get serious! Sure he can step up, he's part of the 500 club, if he wants to.. which should, he can be a 2nd line centerman. Age a factor? Mats Sundin is, like Roenick a tall player who is 37 years of age, part of the 500 goal club+ history of injuries.. and still can maintain 70 points a season.. not 60, 70. All due respect, Roenick was able to do that until the lockout, why?

you can belive him and say it was equipments fault
    out of shape due to his absence fromhockey for over a year
    he played without passion in his post lockout coyote/king days

all this to say, he can do better.

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  6. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Wilson did the right think in offering him another contract. JR can still play, he's a talented hockey player and he does so many things for the Sharks, he's also probably the clown of the team which helps the players relax and such. He's been through so many important games in his career, he brings experience and leadership. Good move from the Sharks.

7. Millz

Millz Lance Catamaran Staff Member V.I.P.

I also agree with the signing...I mean why not? If he doesn't cost you too much money you bring him back. He's not there to score a bunch but to teach, lead by example, and be a vocal point for the club as they move forward.