Jehovah's Witnesses

A

AdventChild01

My mom, and sister are Jehovah's Witnesses, and a lot of people seem to have a problem with them. They are the nicest, honest, cleanest, most trust worthy people I know. So why do people have a problem with them?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Probably just because the fact that a lot of people tend to first encounter them at 6 in the morning.

I don't dislike the people so to say, I just dislike the idea of them going constantly from house to house preaching their messages. My feelings to them aren't unique either, I tend to dislike most people that go around pitching whatever product they're selling be it faith or vaccums.

A

AdventChild01

They don't go out that early, the earliest they go out is 10:00 in the morning. And they don't sell anything, they give you magazines, about why we suffer, will the suffering end, what happens when we die, what God's name is and stuff like that. It's accually pretty intresting.

The reason people don't like Jehova Witnesses is that they are persistent and pushing. Granted they are not beligerent, but they are forceful...they are many different kinds of force.

The "proof" they give us on it isn't substantial or reliable...it was written by humanity and based off the bible which was also written by humanity. The bible isn't credible.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
They don't go out that early, the earliest they go out is 10:00 in the morning. And they don't sell anything, they give you magazines, about why we suffer, will the suffering end, what happens when we die, what God's name is and stuff like that. It's accually pretty intresting.
Some of them do. The ones in my home town do and the ones in my friend's hometown do, too. Yes they do sell a product: faith. They want you to pay in the form of worship and praise so you could call that a transaction.

Also, the ones who came to my house were kind of pushy and wouldn't accept the fact that we didn't want their pamphlets. I felt like simply saying that I was a sadist but I didn't want them to return with a lynch mob.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
a) they're insistent. I don't think religion should be spread through aggressive door-to-door tactics, people should be innately drawn to it.

b) they keep on propogating a return of Christ, using a date, and they're always wrong. It seems to me that they keep their flock together through lies.

A

AdventChild01

Some of them do. The ones in my home town do and the ones in my friend's hometown do, too. Yes they do sell a product: faith. They want you to pay in the form of worship and praise so you could call that a transaction.

Also, the ones who came to my house were kind of pushy and wouldn't accept the fact that we didn't want their pamphlets. I felt like simply saying that I was a sadist but I didn't want them to return with a lynch mob.
I never heard that before, they're probably not real Witnesses. There are appostates that pretend to be them, just to get money. They never ask for money, not even if you go to the church.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I never heard that before, they're probably not real Witnesses. There are appostates that pretend to be them, just to get money. They never ask for money, not even if you go to the church.
Oh they were real, they just probably don't fit your idea of a jehovah's witness.

scitsofreaky

Registered Member
You have committed the No True Scotsman fallacy. You can't know if they are "true" Witnesses. Besides, Merc didn't say they asked for money.

I don't really have a problem with them. They make me laugh. Mormons too. It's hard to explain why, but I find them to be hilarious. Granted, I come from a family who would invite them in to try to bring them to the realy Jesus (you know, the baptist one:rolleyes:) so my perspective is that they are just lost. And since my deconversion, I just think it is a hilarious perspective.