Jays officially announce Wells signing

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

TORONTO -- Near the end of last season, Vernon Wells' representatives approached the Blue Jays with a number -- a rather large one, too. It was a figure that they felt was a fair asking price on a contract extension for Toronto's center fielder.
    The size of the contract was considerable: $126 million over seven years. Once the offseason began, Wells headed to his home in Arlington, Texas, and waited. He knew his agents had done extensive research to determine what was "fair market value." Wells just wasn't sure if the Blue Jays were going to be able to match the kind of figure his camp had put on the table.

"You never know, especially with a contract this size, if your present team can do that and afford to do that," Wells said. "You never know, if the Blue Jays or basically 80 percent of baseball, if they can match that kind of deal."

On Monday, Toronto officially announced that it had in fact matched the deal, signing Wells to the exact contract extension that he desired. Wells was all smiles as he sat between team owner Ted Rogers and Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi during a press conference at Rogers headquarters in Toronto

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/...ontent_id=1763298&vkey=hotstove2006&fext=.jsp

2. shookem

shookem Guest

Sweet, I know the Jays need pitching and using Wells in a trade may have been a way of obtaining it but I love this signing.

It's good to see the Jays step up and show Vern the money. It means a lot to Joe Q. Fan like me and I'm sure show the league that they are in fact major players in the MLB.

The only question now is; who will opposing pitchers fear the most in the Jays lineup?

3. Babe_Ruth

I am glad of this signing as well, because Wells is a tremoundous player, he's one of the best defensive player in the Major Leagues, and he's a very good hitter as well, he will give you 30+ home runs and 100+ RBI's a year. The only thing that is missing in is game is that he needs to steal more bases.

If I was the opposing pitcher I would fear the Jays line up.

4. Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy Registered Member

Wells, Overbay, Glaus, and the Big Hurt should make for quite the imposing hit squad. I wonder if they'll end up dealing Alex Rios though. I keep hearing trade rumors that they'll deal him for a starting pitcher to replace Ted Lilly.

Hoosier.

5. Babe_Ruth

I do believe that we need another starting pitcher to add in our rotation, but I don't want to see Rios leave the Jays, he has so much potential, and he was having a great season last year before having an infection on his leg. I believe this guy fully develops(which will be soon) he can give you 30 home runs and close to 100 RBI's and 20 stolen base, and he's a very good outfielder with a great arm. If they do trade him, it better be for a proven winner, because this guy will be an all star in a couple of years. But I don't want to see him leave, even if it helps are starting rotation.

6. Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy Registered Member

"The Blue Jays would like to replace starter Ted Lilly, who signed a four-year deal with the Cubs earlier this month. In order to obtain a starter, Toronto possibly could make outfielders Alex Rios, Reed Johnson or Adam Lind, along with some pitching prospects, available.

Of those outfielders, Rios likely would net the most in return. Last season, the 25-year-old hit .302 with 17 home runs and 82 RBIs. His season was shortened to 128 games due to a staph infection in his left leg, but he flashed his power potential at the plate and is a strong defender in right field."

"There's a lot of interest in Rios," Ricciardi said. "We'll see. We'd be crazy not to explore any avenues, but that doesn't mean we're trading him."

Vince, I found this on the Jays site.

Hoosier.