• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Java.

Morjit

Hey, first real post in this Forum ^^

Okay, as far as Programming goes, I know some HTML and Javascript. I know these are both website based, and aren't very useful for object-oriented.

I want to learn how to code in Java. I'm wanting to develop an App for my Android (HTC Desire, FroYo 2.2)

Any suggestions on the best place to learn the basics?

Thanks in advance :)

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Well, from what I know, I have learned from a few classes at my high school in the US, but there should be some websites to keep an eye out for...

Robocode Home (try this, its a game that teaches the basics of sourcing in Java. That's what I learned in my spare time.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
You won't get far learning Java if you want to program for your Android. the SDK for Android uses C++, not Java.

What is Android? | Android Developers

You're a long way away from developing your own app for Android.. especially since you don't have any OOP experience at all.

Arathald

Registered Member
Going off of what DaStevez said, I'd suggest learning C++ before Java. C++ uses explicit pointers (if you don't know what these are, you'll learn soon enough), while the ones in Java are all implicit. This makes going from Java to C++ much harder than going from C++ to Java. This may sound backwards -- learning the harder language first -- but, in my experience, knowing how to use pointers effectively will really help you understand how things work behind the scenes, even in Java, and will make you a better programmer.

Doc

V.I.P.
Learning how accessor and mutator methods worked in Java was fun after I learned how to create/modify/and call methods/classes in C++.

I wasn't just suggesting he learn C++ first from a educational standpoint, though. Almost all video games and phone software is written in C++ (or, more commonly these days, C#).

If you want to learn languages I'd go C++ > C# > Java.

Arathald

Registered Member
I wasn't just suggesting he learn C++ first from a educational standpoint, though.
Right, I understood this. I was just giving another reason to go for C++ first.

Almost all video games and phone software is written in C++ (or, more commonly these days, C#).

If you want to learn languages I'd go C++ > C# > Java.
I completely agree. I was hesitant to bring up C#, since I'll invariably be accused of being a Microsoft fanboy or biased since I work there (though I have nothing whatsoever to do with Visual Studio or C#), but I genuinely like C# better than Java, and have since long before I even considered working at Microsoft.

Doc

V.I.P.
C# is the future. There's no way around that.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
I agree with DaStevez start with c++, if you go into Bestbuy or Fry's you can get great software and c++ for dummies for about 60 bucks. It's well worth it. And just take one class for it and you will be good to go. I consider c++ as the latin of computer programming because once you master the basics, you can pretty much learn everything else easily.

Gingerbread

Registered Member
First you shoul learn java basics. After that you can read a book about programming for android. I think thats the best way.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Computers 0
T Computers 1
Foke Computers 2
Mirage Computers 4
helpisontheway Ideas & Support 1