JAVA vs C#

Foke

I allready know about the plataform independent concept where Java smokes C# (and microsoft technologies), but I´m looking for more general aspect of both (Easy of use, which one is more complete, elegant, etc).... So,

Which do like the most? why?

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
Am I correct in saying that you are talking about C Sharp? or C? Cos if I'm not mistaken C Sharp is written C#

rozzlapeed

Registered Member
This seems like a really old topic, but whatever.

I use both languages often and I can definitely tell you that the biggest point in Java's favor is that it is EVERYWHERE. The vast majority of enterprise software from the 2000-2004 period was written in Java, and it's still being upgraded and supported today, for the most part.

Aside from that, I find C# much more elegant, and the cross-platform limitations that originally hampered it are slowly disappearing with the development of the Mono .Net open-source project, which has ported the .Net CLR to Linux and Unix-based systems. Not only that, but it boasts what is arguably the best professional IDE around, Visual Studio.

In addition, .Net is leapfrogging Java in terms of performance, with the availability of JIT (just-in-time) compilers which convert MSIL (the .Net intermediate language) into faster compiled binaries.

But this just represents my personal taste for the most part, because I would never suggest to any developer to choose one over the other. They are both so similar in syntax and features that it pays to know both.