• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MLB Jason Vargas signs with Royals

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
About 2:30 Royals leak "Major Announcement at 4 p.m." That announcement is Jason Vargas for 4 years, $32 million.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow ... 4308.story

I cannot believe he's going to get paid that much money.

He's seven games under .500 in his career. His career ERA is at 4.30. Don't know what Kansas City management were thinking on this one.

arock1234

Registered Member
Jason Vargas is very good at being very average. 4 years is ridiculous, however, the 8M per isn't bad. He's always pitched in very spacious home ballparks (Angels and Mariners) which explains his relatively good ERA's. Giving average pitchers 4 year deals seem to always not work out well. (Suppan, Jackson, Meche, etc)

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
The issue is that Vargas doesn't offer much in the way of upside, and the Royals need the upside. The actual deal isn't bad, but it's not what the Royals need. In other words, he's basically another Guthrie..so they don't need a 4-5 starter they need a top of the rotation guy.

jakelarsen

Dickey's Flow said:
The issue is that Vargas doesn't offer much in the way of upside, and the Royals need the upside. The actual deal isn't bad, but it's not what the Royals need. In other words, he's basically another Guthrie..so they don't need a 4-5 starter they need a top of the rotation guy.
Keeps them from re-upping Santana & reports from sources say it hurts chances of keeping Shields long-term...was Vargas really worth it??

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Baseball 0
V Baseball 1
Millz Baseball 8
StroShow Hockey 4
StroShow NBA 10