• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Jason Statham to play the Daredevil?

Vegito728

Registered Member
An interesting rumor, nothing more than merely some speculation, arrives today from the LA Times. Writer Geoff Boucher apparently caught up with Jason Statham and comic legend Frank Miller at the Hard Rock Hotel during Comic-Con and ended up chatting with them both about Daredevil, a character that Miller helped flesh out in the late 70's.

The discussion ended up focusing on the idea of a new movie to reboot the character, not unlike The Incredible Hulk this summer, and both Statham and Miller expressed quite a bit of enthusiasm. Statham himself even exclaimed, "absolutely, just give me the chance, I would love to be Daredevil." Miller's response to that: "I think he should be Daredevil too." Does this mean there's a Frank Miller written or directed Daredevil movie in the works with Jason Statham playing Matt Murdock?

No, of course not, that idea is preposterous! The 2003 Daredevil movie with Ben Affleck is highly regarded as one of the worst comic book movies to date, even though the Director's Cut apparently irons out some of the kinks. Miller's background with the character would make this idea certainly feasible and Statham might be an interesting choice, but I don't know if it'll fly.

The differences between Affleck and Statham are so vast that it doesn't even compare to Eric Bana and Ed Norton both playing Bruce Banner, and I can't get Affleck's incarnation of the character out of my mind.

I don't think there's any reason to dwell on this rumor for too long anyway, because when and if it ever does come together, we'll address our concerns then. But for those who are big fans of Marvel's Daredevil, let's pose a question to wrap up this news tonight.
Source: Jason Statham Wants to Play Daredevil, Frank Miller Agrees « FirstShowing.net

I like Statham and think he could pull off the Daredevil. I would like to see him play a role where he doesn't just beat people's ass for once.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I could see this too. I never saw the Ben Affleck Daredevil but I heard it wasn't worth seeing. Jason Statham is pretty hardcore into martial arts and gymnast stuff and he could pull this off WAY better than Ben Affleck could. If they do this I hope they'd do it like the Edward Norton Hulk movie and completely disregard the previous movie and pretend it didn't exist. Start fresh basically.

Vincent_Valentine

Studley-Do-Right
I'm apparently in the minority in that I didn't think Daredevil was all that bad. It wasn't great by any means, and they definitely tried too hard to fill the cast with big names, but I didn't think it was that bad really.

I wouldn't be opposed to a reboot though. Daredevil is a pretty interesting character, and I would like to see him get another shot.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Daredevil will Ben Affleck was horrible in my opinion. But I'm a huge fan of Jason Statham and I believe he could work wonders with this role. I'll defenitely see it if he's portraying Matt Murdock.

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
Aww not Jason Statham, I can't stand that guy. With that said he'd probably do a better job than Affleck but I still think they can do better! Marvel really are obsessed with making sure all their characters get atleast one decent movie So I wouldn't be suprised if this actually goes ahead. first Hulk, then talks of Venom and now this.... you'd have to love them for trying I guess.

Last edited:

Blueyes

Registered Member
Afleck was okay but I honestly don't think it was his fault. I just didn't care for that story line even though it went by the comic book.

I would love to see Stratham as Daredevil and am getting sick of him beating peoples asses in movies too especially when they have a crappy plot. However, this most recent one to come out looks good.

kajinpl

Registered Member
I like Jason Statham, but I don't think that Daredevil would be the right role for him. Of course, I didn't like Ben Afleck much either. The only thing he had that was similar to DD was the chin. Other than that........ NO. Its kinda the same thing with George Clooney. I like him as an actor, but he was not a good Batman. BUT, anything is possible.

Last edited:

wolfheart

Registered Member
After all is said and done i think Jason statham would be the wrong choice for the DD roll.
the first movie was not good but in comparison it was a lot better then electra.
Maybe the roll of daredevil should go to an unknown!.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
What if Matt Damon played Daredevil? He is seriously into martial arts and could probably pull it off very well. He's a lot less cocky than Statham and might fit the character better.

wolfheart

Registered Member
Not sure about Matt damon,he is a very good actor but i cant see him in the role of DD.
As for the martial arts i dont think it is to importatnt to have an actor with a martial arts background,i mean none of the actors in the matrix were heavily into martial arts,but with the right chorographers and enough time they all looked very compatent.
i think it is more a case of finding an actor who can pull of the sort dual role that comes with most of the comic heros

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Baseball 0
V Baseball 1
Millz Baseball 8
StroShow Hockey 4
StroShow NBA 10