Japan to Try and Create Mini Universe

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Taitu, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Taitu

Taitu Guest

A group of Japanese scientists are planning to create a mini universe(Though through the actual explanation, it seems more like they are planning to create an alternate universe). Their method is to first create their own Big Bang. They say this will form the universe in another area of space time, but that a wormhole will be present where the Big Bang occured. According to their theory, the wormhole will become a black hole that should quickly seal up. They said that the entire thing may happen so fast they may not even catch a glimpse of the wormhole or the blackhole though.

Now, my problems with this are the following:

1. A Big Bang? HOW do you contain something like that, a Big Bang is supposed to be quite large from my understanding, and creating one could be quite dangerous to us all.

2. Second, they are going to risk a black hole being created? What if that black hole does NOT seal up. We would get sucked in.

3. Finally, what if the universe does NOT become seperate from ours. The things that could occur from that are literally unimaginable.

Discuss.

2. Drky

Drky Guest

This all seems like its from a movie or book. Their idea may sound ok on paper but I highly think it will not be possible.

I cannot answer your questions but here is something to think about.

If this works, it could possibly lead to a theoretical way to time travel.

I read this somewhere too but can't seem to find it, can you source this?

3. SenatorB

SenatorB J.S.P.S

This seems pretty incredible... and I'm pretty incredulous of it. Recreating the Big Bang? Creating a Black Hole and a Wormhole? I severely doubt with our current technology we 1) can do this at all, and 2) can do this with any semblance of safety.

Also, all stories posted should be SOURCED, with the link provided to the site you got it from. If you got the story from a normal paper but can't find it online, just give the name of the paper and the date it was published. So please do that, thanks.

4. IntheNet

IntheNet Guest

Several years ago Sandia National Laboratory, together with Los Alamos National Laboratory and the National Aeronautical and Space Administration, collaborated in a "black hole" research endeavor to attempt to duplicate, on an extremely limited basis here on earth under controlled consitions, collapsing matter. The sheer amount of vacuum necessary, and the dangerousness of anti-matter in said vacuum, made the experiment a failure in retrospect, but it did generate lots of papers of which I was party to and remember well. I would think the same result would greet the Japanese. In any event, please post a link to this story so I may follow up...

5. Taitu

Taitu Guest

6. lightprize

lightprize Guest

Now science is starting to scare me. One day soon I hope that all experiments that may effect the world, be approved by the rest of the world somehow. I was recently talking about unrestricted science, and I think that just because they can do something should not be the only reason for them doing it.

7. smuda

smuda Registered Member

How wonderful! This really jazzes me. This is up there with all the great scientists in the "What the BLEEP do you know?" movie. Let those scientists explore and explore. Godspeed!

8. The Comrade

The Comrade Guest

1. technically the explosion of matter in a particle excellerator is a big bang.

2. the black hole is going to be so small that quarks and byrons will probably be the only thing that will get sucked into it

3. it's not going to create an actual infinite universe.

9. First off, the mass of the black hole will depend on how much matter it is made up of in the first place. Simply because you create a black hole does not mean it instantly gains near-infinite mass (I'm using that phrase for lack of a better one). However, the singularity of most black holes is predicted to be close (I may not be making sense, if so, just slap me now). If it was made from simply smashing a handful of subatomic particles together, then its mass will be that of a couple of subatomic particles. Nowhere close to the "whirling pit of doom."

Furthermore, this pocket universe is completely dependent on the mass of the black hole, which in this case is very, very small. Furthermore, the law of conservation of mass and energy dictates that, after creating the black hole, you are not going to create a universe the size of the planet since it doesn't have that much matter to expand that much.

By the way, a black hole still is a three-dimensional object. You simply can't see it since it doesn't reflect light.