Movies James Cameron

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Babe_Ruth, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Maybe this is just me but it feels like everyone talks about best directors James Cameron is left off the list, or he's listed between fifth and tenth. I know that's not that bad, but by the success he had and the money his movies have made you'd think he would get more recongnition.

He's directed the top two money grossing movies of all time, and that's remarkable.

What are your thoughts on Cameron and do you believe he gets the due he deserves or you don't believe he's that great of a direction?

2. R1pperZ

R1pperZ Registered Member

Best director awards are not factored off of box office profits, the prestige is awarded when the movie stays in the minds of people long after it leaves the theaters and continues to be talked about for years.

James Cameron is a great director but I think he chooses movies that are easier to market. Spielberg chose mediocre scripts and made them cult classics.

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Not only did James Cameron direct the top two highest grossing movies of all time, he wrote them as well. Keep that in mind. The guy certainly knows what sells.

4. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

He's a great director, but he's mostly done mega budget films that are really well marketed and over the top with special effects. I'd like to see him work with a smaller budget and see what he could do then.

5. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

I think he gets enough credit for what he does. He has directed the two highest grossing movies of all-time but I still don't think he belongs in the top 5. No matter how much money his movies make, I still believe Terminator 2 was his best movie. But maybe that is just me.

6. kitchendame

kitchendame Registered Member

Cameron is my favorite director. Even in movies that don't do fabulously well I can name a scene or two that is amazing. The guy can do epic consistently better than anyone. "Titanic" impressed me, not because of the storyline, but because of that scene where those massive engines had to come to a full stop and then go in reverse. I stopped breathing during that scene. His direction makes a poor story good, and a good story better. I become a little annoyed with directors who choose content and material purely because it's controversial or has shock value. I don't think Cameron cares if people think he's good or not. He likes telling stories, and he does it extremely well. And the million kajillion bucks he makes from his movies is a soothing thought from time to time as well, I'm sure.

7. konboye

konboye Registered Member

I'd say he should be in the top three. He is just underated, and critiqued. He is just deceptively good.

8. kitchendame

kitchendame Registered Member

Do you think so? I sometimes think it's just Hollywood envy. "Why is he having all that success when my film about the poor-starving-politically-crushed-feminine-homosexual-neo-religious-eco-friendly American is doing so poorly?" Meanwhile Cameron goes out and puts a story on screen, and doesn't stint on the money when it comes to special effects and cinematography.

9. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Yes, I think he gets enough credit too for what he does but I guess credit is relative. He's quite popular. His name is something that probably always make lists if asked to name good directors. There are tons of great directors out there so the competition is tough. Unfortunately he just cannot go based on the popularity of his movies. Anyway, other award making bodies have recognised his directorial (is that a word haha) talent where the Oscards have snubbed him.