JaMarcus Russell arrested for possession of Codeine Syrup

Unity

Jedi Mind Tricks
Staff member
JaMarcus Russell arrested for possession of codeine syrup - ESPN

Things just keep getting worse for this guy, not smart...

MOBILE, Ala. -- Former Oakland Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell has been charged with possession of a controlled substance -- codeine syrup -- after being arrested at his home in Alabama on Monday, authorities said.
The 24-year-old former LSU star and the No. 1 draft choice in 2007 was arrested as part of an undercover narcotics investigation, said Mobile County Sheriff's spokeswoman Lori Myles. She would not say what led to his arrest. She said he did not have a prescription for the codeine.

Blog network: NFL Nation

Russell, who graduated from high school in Mobile, was booked into the city jail and released soon afterward on $2,500 bond, online records show.
The Raiders released Russell, considered one of the NFL's biggest draft busts, in May after he won only seven of his 25 starts and was benched. He completed just 52.1 percent of his passes in his career with 18 touchdowns, 23 interceptions, 15 lost fumbles and a passer rating of 65.2.
Oakland paid Russell about $36.4 million through the 2009 season. Since the start of the common draft in 1967, only one other No. 1 pick was released this quickly in his NFL career. Indianapolis cut 1992 top pick Steve Emtman after three seasons, but that was more because of injuries than production.
Russell and his agent did not immediately return calls for comment.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
He just lost any chance of signing on as a backup right now. Who is going to take a chance on him now that he's sure to face a suspension. Maybe a year away from the league will do him some good. Can't he play in the CFL?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
The guy is such a disaster it's . . inspiring. I mean, no matter how far you've fallen, you'll always know this guy fell much farther than you ever could have.

Unity

Jedi Mind Tricks
Staff member
That's what I would picture working out best for him, if anything; time playing somewhere else, getting back in good shape, and really dazzling the NFL scouts through action in a league such as the CFL.

What else could he do to play again, unless a team takes a huge risk? Could happen.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
He might even benefit from two or more years in the CFL. The NFL really doesn't have a "minor league" like the NFL Europe for him to play in.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't even believe the CFL will take a chance on him right now. None of the teams have him on their nogiation list which is pretty pathetic.

I always had confidence in Russell, I actually thought he would turn into a stud quarterback. Even when he struggle early I said, that the QB position is hard to learn in the NFL and eventually he'll figure things out. Well, I was sure wrong on that one.

It's a shame really, because physically he had all the tools to be an amazing quarterback.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree with BR he had all the physical tools to be a pretty good QB but his work ethic, or lack thereof, is his biggest downfall.
It's a shame when you think about it as well. The Raiders invested a lot in Russell when they drafted him first overall. They knew that he had a lot of potential and it would take time for him to develop into a good quarterback in this league.

What they didn't know is that this guy doesn't really have the passion to make himself into a better quarterback. He probably thinks that since he can throw a ball 60 yards he's good enough.