• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Jake Gardiner Deal or No Deal?

Rehmo

Alot of talk the past two days about Gardiner. Should the leafs, with alot of FA's coming up at the end of the season, move Gardiner or apply a wait and see mentality?

My biggest question mark is Dion, he could potentially cost the leafs +$6 million a year, so my other question is who would you rather have Dion or Jake, if you dont trade one?

KyleM

I would prefer Dion Phaneuf.

Realistically Phaneuf is not a perenial allstar and will never win a Norris trophy. But he is a proven top pairing defender. He is strong, has one hell of a shot and can play on your top PK or PP. Phanuef, to me, is every teams wish of a number 2 defender.

Me-thinks where the story of Phaneuf and the leafs goes wrong is his captaincy.

He is exactly opposite of a social genius. He is more than guarenteed to be respected in the room by his teammates but who actually wants him to stand up and speak? He can't. (Unless HBO proves me wrong)

And because of that his timely mistakes are even more scrutinized than his already overly scrutinized teammates.

If Phaneuf was looked upon more as a top line defender instead of a team leader he would be more valuable.

Gardiner is an excellent puck mover and isn't weak but is his cap as high as a guarenteed Phaneuf? Is Rielley's higher?
If Rielley, Gardiner, Franson all factor into leafs future they are maximizing offensive ability but limiting PK and "strong" defensemen.

More than likely Gardiner will not be traded. Nonis has probably allowed the word he is up for trade to leak to see what kind of fish will bite. He is testing the market, see what he could get if the time comes that he must trade Gardiner.

Rehmo

KyleM said:
I would prefer Dion Phaneuf.

Realistically Phaneuf is not a perenial allstar and will never win a Norris trophy. But he is a proven top pairing defender. He is strong, has one hell of a shot and can play on your top PK or PP. Phanuef, to me, is every teams wish of a number 2 defender.

Me-thinks where the story of Phaneuf and the leafs goes wrong is his captaincy.

He is exactly opposite of a social genius. He is more than guarenteed to be respected in the room by his teammates but who actually wants him to stand up and speak? He can't. (Unless HBO proves me wrong)

And because of that his timely mistakes are even more scrutinized than his already overly scrutinized teammates.

If Phaneuf was looked upon more as a top line defender instead of a team leader he would be more valuable.

Gardiner is an excellent puck mover and isn't weak but is his cap as high as a guarenteed Phaneuf? Is Rielley's higher?
If Rielley, Gardiner, Franson all factor into leafs future they are maximizing offensive ability but limiting PK and "strong" defensemen.

More than likely Gardiner will not be traded. Nonis has probably allowed the word he is up for trade to leak to see what kind of fish will bite. He is testing the market, see what he could get if the time comes that he must trade Gardiner.
I agree, Dion gets alot of people on his back after he makes a mistake but he logs alot of time. I think Gardiner is a one-demension player and its clear his defensive aspect has suffered. The problem is if you don't sign Dion by the end of the year there is a potential that he walks for the bigger pay check.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
Rehmo said:
I agree, Dion gets alot of people on his back after he makes a mistake but he logs alot of time. I think Gardiner is a one-demension player and its clear his defensive aspect has suffered. The problem is if you don't sign Dion by the end of the year there is a potential that he walks for the bigger pay check.
Phaneuf gets a lot of criticism, but personally I don't feel that it's all warranted. Yes, he might not reach the potential that he was expected to meet when he was a rookie with Calgary 8 years ago and he shouldn't make quite as much money as he does, but he's still a top level defenseman.

My answer is that it really comes down to what could you get for either guy. I think it's dumb for a GM to have a player be completely untouchable when it comes to trades. In my opinion, you should at least listen to offers just in case someone is willing to really overpay for a player.