Jaguars cut Leftwich, former starter and first-round pick

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Jacksonville Jaguars released oft-injured quarterback Byron Leftwich on Saturday, one day after announcing they planned to part ways with the former first-round draft pick.
The Jaguars had hoped to trade Leftwich, but also said they were prepared to release him in hopes of avoiding any locker room problems stemming from his demotion.
The team also released 18 others, including receiver Charles Sharon, defensive tackle Seth Payne and cornerbacks Bruce Thornton and Dee Webb.
The Jags also traded running back Alvin Pearman to Seattle for an undisclosed draft pick and placed defensive end James Wyche (groin) and receiver Mike Walker (knee) on injured reserve.
Walker, a third-round draft pick from Central Florida, injured his knee nearly two years ago and looked sharp in training camp. Coach Jack Del Rio even said recently that there was no chance Walker would go on IR.
Of course, Del Rio also said all year that Leftwich was his unquestioned starter. But David Garrard outperformed Leftwich in training camp and the preseason, prompting Del Rio to make the stunning change nine days before the season opener.
Leftwich and Sharon probably both feel duped by the Jaguars.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d802009dc&template=with-video&confirm=true

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
Big news. Im glad I didnt draft Byron as a backup. Man when they were interviewing him in one of the preseason games I got the impression for him that he knew he was on the burner. But he probably at least thought he had one more year to make things right.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was really surprise when I saw this headline. Byron was suppose to be the future for the Jaguars, and he had his first couple of seasons he played really well, but in recent years he's gone down below, and Garard took over has the starter. Another NFL team should sign him and he'll probably back up some other quarterback

P

platypus616

if KC were smart, they'd sign him.

or miami, for that matter...i'd put leftwich lightyears above trent green.

hasbeen99

Fighting the stereotype
...or miami, for that matter...i'd put leftwich lightyears above trent green.
As would I. Geathers ended Green's career last year. He just hasn't realized it yet.

This move didn't really surprise me all that much. Leftwich's injury history is well known, and Garrard has outplayed him almost every chance he's had. Plus, Garrard is cheaper. Strike one, strike two, strike three.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
See I believe that Del Rio has two average quarterbacks and he had to chose one of them so he doesn't have a quarterback controversy in his hands. So he decided to go with Garrard. Leftwich was probably in Del Rio's dog house, so he cut him instead of Garrard.

Z

Zanthrax54

See I believe that Del Rio has two average quarterbacks and he had to chose one of them so he doesn't have a quarterback controversy in his hands. So he decided to go with Garrard. Leftwich was probably in Del Rio's dog house, so he cut him instead of Garrard.
Yup, that's about the size of it...Props to Del Rio for not going with the more popular guy(Leftwich) and going with the guy that gives them the best chance to win. (Garrard)