Jackie Robinson's Number

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Rapier, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Rapier

Rapier Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

Tucker wrote
    The complete post was sincere and heartfelt.

Having been a Yankee's fan I didn't think any Dodger was the greatest but Robinson's contribution to all of sports was unmatched.

Retiring number 42 was a huge mistake. The logic was to
    honor the man. Maybe it did. But it also hides his history and memory. Myself I'd like to see that number 42 on player's jerseys just so the announcers could tell the fans why that number means so much to baseball.

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

The announcers do tell the story of Jackie Robinson often though. I think it was a good thing from the MLB's part to retire his number. The only player who's allowed to wear it his Mariono Riviera. This is the best way to honor the man that broke the color barrier.

3. Rapier

Yet we'll never hear a kid say "that was Jackie Robinson's number."

4. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

I disagree completely Rapier. Maybe it's because I'm from KC where Jackie played in the Negro Leagues, but it's almost a right of passage for a young baseball player to learn about jackie robinson and why his number is retired.

Thanks 42.

5. Rapier

If I were a father at a ballgame I'd like to be able say to my youngster "see that 42 over there? That's the number the great Jackie Robinson wore." I wouldn't want to depend on some broadcaster mentioning it.

If I were a youngster it would mean a lot more if my dad told me at the ballpark.

It would be tangible, a rite of passage.

And of course the glow you would feel at the next ballgame when it's pointed out to you "hey Dad it's 42, that's the number Jackie Robinson wore."

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  6. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

42 is a retired number, and is in plain view at every ball park already. The right of passage still exists.

7. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Part of the point of retiring it is so it will STAY associated with Jackie Robinson, and no one else. Imagine back in the 90's, if Griffey had been number 42 instead of 24? Many kids would go bonkers over Griffey, and just say "Jackie who?"

8. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

Yeah, I have to disagree also. The number 42 holds a special place because of who and what it symbolizes and it should stay that way.

9. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I think Wade just hit on the nail. If another superstar would of worn that number today, kids would only think of that guy when he sees 42. Well the average fan would. Now that it's retired, the number is even more special.

10. Rapier

Who do you think of when you see the number 32?
    Who do you think of when you see the number 23?
    ------

Kat got your tongues? Myself I think of Jim Brown and Michael Jordan.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009