Jackie Robinson

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I wanted to start a topic about Jackie Robinson, I am sure there's a few members here that have seen him play, or read about him. I think everyone knows that he broke the color barrier in Baseball.

But I want to talk about all sort of things about Robinson, the way he played the game, the things he went through.

Lets discuss about the great Jackie Robinson. Please in say stuff in your own words, I know I can look up stuff on the internet, but I dont want to do that.

Discuss.

2. Ryuk

Ryuk Registered Member

In my opinion he's the bravest man to ever play not just baseball but any sport, he broke down the barriers for all and without him baseball isn't the ethnically diverse game it is today.

What more really needs to be said?

3. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

I credit Jackie Robinson for more than just breaking the color barrier. Yes he did that, hes that's what he's famous for, but honestly he brought a lot more to the game. He brought class and heart to the game. He played every game like it was last. I've read so many eye witness accounts of his playing. He never took a day off, he played his best, despite the adversity. Yeah he was black, but thats not important, what is important is how he played the game.

Rebeccaaa and Babe_Ruth like this.
  4. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Registered Member

When I think of Jackie Robinson, I think of a hero, a leader, someone all people should aspire to be. The man had great courage, tremendous heart, and played hard. Not to mention a classy individual of the highest order. Great, great man, and if it weren't for him, baseball wouldn't be the great game that it is today.

5. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

The key to understanding Jackie Robinson's success in integrating a partly unwilling baseball nation is to realize that he didn't fall out of the sky in 1947. He was the right man at the right time - post-WWII in America, when many blacks were tiring of the hypocrisy of a society that had very recently called them up to fight and shed their blood for a country united in wartime but still in many places refused to allow them hotel rooms and restaurant seating next to whites simply because of how they looked.

Jackie was one of those drafted to serve in the military after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. He had already gained national attention as a star halfback for the University of California at Los Angeles football team, receiving 700,000 votes in a poll of Chicago Tribune readers to decide which college players would be selected for a college vs. NFL exhibition game. But baseball was an equal love and an equally natural skill for Robinson, and when a white superior officer denied him a place in Fort Riley's baseball circle with a taunt of "You have to play for the colored team" (which didn't exist), Jackie vacated his slot on the football squad in disgust.

Other problems with racism dogged him throught the war years. His application for Officers' Candidate School was left in limbo for months. Legendary boxer Joe Louis, who had left Hitler's vaunted propaganda tool Max Schmeling flat on his back in 1938 and was coincidentally stationed at the same fort as Robinson, lobbied on his behalf. Newly-commissioned Second Lieutenant Robinson telephoned a major to protest the lack of seating for blacks at the post exchange, the premier off-hours gathering place for soldiers and their guests. Robinson later recounted the major as saying, "I don't want my wife sitting close to any colored guy." An enraged Jackie fired back. "How the hell do you know that your wife hasn't already been close to one?" The major hung up, but extra seats were eventually designated for blacks.

Then, in 1944, years before the famous refusal by Rosa Parks to move to the back of a Southern city bus, came the similar incident which galvanized Jackie into activism for equality forever. Directed by a Fort Hood, Texas army bus driver to move away from a friend's lighter-skinned wife, with whom he had been cordially chatting during their ride, the uniformed Robinson ignored the command. Army facilities having been ordered desegregated by that date, he was perfectly within his legal right to sit with anyone whom he chose.

At the end of the line, Robinson and the woman were waiting for a second bus when the same angered driver reappeared on foot with a dispatcher in tow. "Quit fucking with me," Jackie snarled. he then attempted to defuse the situation by walking away from the men, but was detained by two military policemen and hustled off to explain the incident.

At MP headquarters, Lt. Robinson was met with more race-based hostility. When a private in attendance used the lowest of racial epithets in inquiring about the events, Jackie got in his face. "If you ever call me a nigger again, I'll break you in two!" Proceedings degenerated futher from that point on and Jackie was formally accused of acts of insubordination by the officer on duty, a court martial offense which could have gotten him a dishonorable discharge and a life in obscurity with no prospect of any professional sports career. When his commanding officer refused to put his signature on the court martial paperwork, Fort Hood officials had Robinson transferred to a tank battalion at another base, whose commander promptly signed the order. This was common practice, as many black soldiers were routinely and unjustly court martialed during the war. Thankfully, Robinson himself was spared this indignity when a nine-judge panel found him not guilty on all counts.

After the war, Brooklyn Dodgers General Manager Branch Rickey felt that it was due time to allow blacks into the major leagues, something that hadn't been seen since the 1880s. To his eternal credit, he chose Jackie Robinson, then a player with the Negro League's Kansas City Monarchs.

On that fateful day in April when Jackie trotted onto the field and took his position at first base, he had been standing up to racism for years. He was ready. White fans, unfortunately, were not, and a loud chorus of boos erupted from the stands. Without a word, shortstop Pee Wee Reese slowly walked over and put his arm around Jackie's shoulders. The crowd hushed. The infamous color line at baseball's highest level had been rubbed out like so much chalk, the era of civil rights begun in earnest. Jackie went on to play ten seasons in the majors, all of them with the same team, and six of them all the way to the World Series.

That is why I am proud beyond words to call myself a fan; why I love, and will always deeply love, the Dodgers club; why I carry their current "LA" logo permanently inked onto my arm. That is why Robinson's number 42 jersey is retired across all teams--the first and only one so honored--and why no one will ever be allowed to wear it. That is why I have shed tears standing at Dodger Stadium as the national anthem played, and did also as I wrote this post. And that is why Jack Roosevelt Robinson is not just one of the greatest players, but perhaps the single greatest person ever to play the sport.

So, if you ever find yourself at Dodger Stadium (and I really hope you do), cast your eyes up into the stands above the outfield at Jackie's name and number painted on the back wall. Remember what he did for baseball and, by extension, for the rights of all people to be first-class citizens. Reach up, won't you, and give the man a tip of your cap?

Oh, I forgot - someone else was permitted to wear Jackie's number. Can you spot the 42 jersey in this photo?

[​IMG]

God, how I love baseball. Thank you, Mr. Robinson. Thank you and Branch and Pee Wee and all the rest who took a national pastime that was glorious and made it everyone's to share.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
    Rebeccaaa and Millz like this.
  6. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

As far as his playing career goes I'll always remember when he stole home. I dont remember who it was against or when it was but I'll always think of that when I think of him.

All hussle, all passion, all desire. When you talk about the greats in baseball history then you always have to mention Jackie Robinson.

Rebeccaaa likes this.
  7. Babe_Ruth

First off that was a wonderful piece of Jackie Robinson Tucker. It shows that you have a lot of passion for number 42, which is great see and it was a great read.

Millz, Robinson stole home many times, but I believe the one your talking about is when Jackie Robinson decided to steal home in the 1955 World Series. Till this day Yogi Berra believes Robinson was out, but he was called safe.

Here's the famous picture.

[​IMG]

8. Millz

Yep, that is definitely the one I was referring too. They show that replay all the time. That's something you just dont see happen in this day in age.

9. Babe_Ruth

I love seeing that old video just because everytime I do see it I try to analyse the video and try to judge if Jackie Robinson was safe or out. I saw many different angles and till this day I still don't know if he or wasn't. It's so hard to tell. Like I mentioned before till this day Yogi Berra still believes Jackie Robinson was out.

I wonder what Jackie thought, obviously he would say he was safe, but deep down he must of really known if he was safe or not.

10. Millz

Eh maybe he didnt know for sure. It all happens so fast that somethings it hard to tell even for the baserunner!