• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Jack Swagger as a face - yes or no?

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
So a few of our conversations lately have noted that it looks halfway probable at times that Jack Swagger may turn into a face soon...however, it's still sort of 50/50 based on his actions and behaviors.

So, do you think that turning Swagger into a face is a good idea, or not?

I'm on the side of yes. Jack is really a quality in-ring wrestler who - while doing as well as possible with being Cole's "trainer" - hasn't seen much prominence in recent months. The guy is in a spot in which he's easily underrated, and before being in that spot he was just getting a little stale. I think that the face turn would be perfect for bringing him back to a strong position on the roster, and I think that he'd be good at being face in general.

Add to that the nature of the business in the U.S.; we're known for "us vs. the evil foreign wrestler" angles, and the business and patriotism often walk hand-in-hand here. With the death of Osama Bin Laden, the country is kind of in one of those higher patriotism phases (as you could easily see on Monday night Raw this week). To me, it makes perfect sense that a guy called "The All-American American" would be a face right now. It was looking like a good time to pull the trigger on a face turn before, and this has only made it seem like that much stronger of a time.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Swagger should be a face, but I do not see that as a possibility right now. Raw is kind of face-heavy right now with Rey, Cena and Show amongst others, so another face would add too much to the hubbub. A face turn would be good down the line (same with The Miz) but definitely not now.

Honestly, I don't think he is doing enough of a good job as a heel right now, anyway.

wooly

I am the woolrus
I agree that the "All-American American" gimmick is great for a face, and good point with the country being in peak patriotic mode right now. As for whether he'd be good or not as a face, it's hard to tell until he actually did it.. He's not the most charismatic man in the world, so who knows how much his face promos would get him over with the crowd. But his gimmick and looks both work in his favour.

I think he's in the perfect position to turn face aswell. If Cole and Lawler had one more bout (not that many would want to see that but still, i can see them having one mroe to finish off the feud) with maybe a huge stipulation on the line, like i dunno... Lawler's career or something, Swagger stops Cole from cheating his way to victory, sides with Lawler, explains why because he respects him so much as one of the best wrestlers of all time etc. that would be a great way to turn him face. That's probably how i'd do it anyways!

I'm pretty sure screwing over Michael Cole is a perfect way to turn anyone face, the awesome heel that he is! :p
------
Raw is kind of face-heavy right now with Rey, Cena and Show amongst others, so another face would add too much to the hubbub.
Funny you should mention that, because i think RAW could definitely do with another upper midcard face. Cena, Rey and Show are the main event faces, and personally i think they're all horribly stale. I think the face scene on RAW right now is in really bad shape.

In the upper midcard scene there's John Morrison and Kofi Kingston. Below them are Evan Bourne who i'd LOVE to see pushed but it looks like it's never gonna happen. Some people were suggesting Chris Masters in another thread but i'm very meh on him, and i'd rather see Swagger get the opportunity above him.

When you look at the heels on RAW - Del Rio, CM Punk (along with the Otunga, Ryan and McGillicutty), The Miz, R-Truth, Dolph Ziggler, Drew McIntyre there's a lot of talent and potential there. I think turning Swagger face would level things out perfectly.

Last edited:

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I agree that the "All-American American" gimmick is great for a face, and good point with the country being in peak patriotic mode right now. As for whether he'd be good or not as a face, it's hard to tell until he actually did it.. He's not the most charismatic man in the world, so who knows how much his face promos would get him over with the crowd. But his gimmick and looks both work in his favour.

I think he's in the perfect position to turn face aswell. If Cole and Lawler had one more bout (not that many would want to see that but still, i can see them having one mroe to finish off the feud) with maybe a huge stipulation on the line, like i dunno... Lawler's career or something, Swagger stops Cole from cheating his way to victory, sides with Lawler, explains why because he respects him so much as one of the best wrestlers of all time etc. that would be a great way to turn him face. That's probably how i'd do it anyways!

I'm pretty sure screwing over Michael Cole is a perfect way to turn anyone face, the awesome heel that he is! :p
------

Funny you should mention that, because i think RAW could definitely do with another upper midcard face. Cena, Rey and Show are the main event faces, and personally i think they're all horribly stale. I think the face scene on RAW right now is in really bad shape.

In the upper midcard scene there's John Morrison and Kofi Kingston. Below them are Evan Bourne who i'd LOVE to see pushed but it looks like it's never gonna happen. Some people were suggesting Chris Masters in another thread but i'm very meh on him, and i'd rather see Swagger get the opportunity above him.

When you look at the heels on RAW - Del Rio, CM Punk (along with the Otunga, Ryan and McGillicutty), The Miz, R-Truth, Dolph Ziggler, Drew McIntyre there's a lot of talent and potential there. I think turning Swagger face would level things out perfectly.
I was thinking the same thing about two of your comments: actions can turn a guy face much more readily than words, and that's usually how turns of either sort happen. Swagger turning on Cole for a good reason would get him major cheers right off the bat, IMO.

I agree about your picture of Raw...also take into effect that Show is 1/2 of the tag team champions right now, so he's not in the singles' picture. That group of heels is just fine without Swagger, and the faces would benefit much more.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
@ Wooly, great post; couldn't have said it better myself.

I'd be all for a Jack Swagger face turn and it makes more sense now then it ever has before. Unity and I thought for sure it was going to happen at Extreme Rules but for some reason the WWE has decided to keep his feud going. I kinda wish the Cole/Lawler feud would just end but that's a different thread.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
So on Raw Swagger helped Cole again and continued his heelish ways. However, he did end up volunteering Cole for a match against Jerry Lawler at Over the Limit.

Does anyone think that this could lead to a face turn? Or will it be more of the same for Swagger?