I've taken up an old hobby

Discussion in 'Art & Creative' started by pro2A, Dec 27, 2009.

1. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

I used to build and paint Navy ship models. Currently I'm building the USS Missouri... it's a little harder then I remembered. Does anyone here build them, and if they do, do you have any pointers on how to paint them and build them?

First I primed everything with a basic Navy Grey coat. I attempted to paint the pieces before I broke them off the molds, then the glue just ruined the paint. Model glue is a mess. Then I tried gluing the pieces on first... then it's a bitch to paint :-/

I really am at a loss here. Any tricks or ideas to help me out here? Any help would be appreciated!

2. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

What kind of Model Glue are you using? When I was building the WWII Prop Planes I used "Ambroid Pro-Weld".

[​IMG]

it was pretty intense stuff... would melt the shit out of plastic if you spilled it. What I'd do was just spray paint the whole surface in my primer/base color which was usually a Battleship Grey or OD Green. Then lightly sand the Contact spots with a piece of 150 or 240 Grit Sand Paper. That roughened up those contact spots and kept the droplets of Cement I'd use in place.

Then what I'd do is just complete whatever part I was building (wings, engine, cockpit, etc.) and do my finish painting then rather than on the Mold thingy.

I've never done a Navy Boat.... I should give it a whirl. Only downside is they are usually pretty expensive 'cause they are bigger :hah: Prop Planes were generally cheap, $20 bucks for the 1/8th scale I liked ;)

3. pro2A

I got five models for Christmas and one coming on Ebay. I got the F-15E and the F-16 for jets... the ships I got were the USS Missouri, USS Eisenhower, USS Arizona and the one on Ebay was the USS N. Carolina. They are all 1/700th scale. Someone suggested using a paperclip for the glue. Just dip the clip into the glue and rub it in the spot you are attaching a part to. It keeps it from getting all over the place. I use the Testors glue and paint, they have it at my local hobby shop, the stuff seems to work, but the flows like water and is sticker then shit and gets all over the place :mad:

The Navy ships are awesome looking when they are done, they are pretty intricate with lots of parts. It's worth it if you have the patience to do it.

4. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

Edited because I didn't really read Ice's post. doh.

Testors is pretty much the standard. It just takes some getting used to.

I was always more of a painter; I left the assembly to the ex, who was much better at it.

That's pretty cool, post pics when you're done

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  5. pro2A

Will do.... if I don't butcher it first. :worried:

6. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

Why don't you use a disposable small pot/dish to put the some of the glue in (assuming you are currently using the glue straight from the container), and maybe that'll help to keep the working area a little cleaner. Hope that helps. :)

7. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

you know what, now that I think about it, I'm not sure my ex used Testor's after all. He used something that was in a squeezy bottle that had a purple cap, and I think Testors has a brush, right?

Also, Games Workshop's Citadel makes a modeling glue Games Workshop