"It's To Die For"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mirage, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Generally the saying "It's to die for" is used half hazardly about things that no sane person would actually be willing to die for.

A great movie, a great dessert, etc.

Without talking about serious things worth dying for, are there any experiences that you'd be willing to die for in order to experience?

Say you could get anything you wanted, do anything you wanted, etc, but you'd actually have to die afterwards.

2. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

I don't think anything's to actually die for. It's be pointless to do something and then die (unless that's the point), but I was thinking of how you'd like to enjoy it afterwards. I mean, an amazing dessert is good while you're eating it, but it's also nice to think about after. You can't do that if you're dead. Nothing is worth the end of your life, imo.

3. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Not sure if this is the same thing, but I would rather die while hiking than to not hike at all. You aren't really living if you're not doing the things you love. So hiking is something I would die for.

4. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I guess that kind of is the same thing and that's a great example. It's a hard question to answer if you put it like that.

5. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Well put it that way, I don't want to do something that I know will eventually lead to my death. But as Echoes posted, there are some things I prefer like "a shorter life of doing this/that" than a longer life of not doing it at all.

6. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

there's nothing i'd want to die for. anything you'd want to die for will not be as worthy as your own life.

7. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

I really really really wanna try out a downhill mountain biking trail. If I died while doing it, I wouldnt' care. They look like so much fun and I really really wanna try one some time. Naturally I'd start small and work my way up. But that'd be something I'd risk trying despite the high risk of dying.

8. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

Like Elly, there is nothing of that sort that I would consider risking my life for. I'm not an adrenaline junkie and the only thing I would die for is something like family, not experiences. But then, as E + ys said, I'd rather that than spend my life as a potato because I'm not actually living, just breathing.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  9. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

I dont want to tempt fate to be honest. I dont see the point in putting my life on the line for an adrenaline rush or whatever.

I'm not saying dont take risks but outside of family and friends I dont know if its worth it.