It's Official: Dirk Named MVP

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Press Release -
Dirk Nowitzki of the Dallas Mavericks was named the winner of the Maurice Podoloff Trophy as the NBA’s Most Valuable Player for the 2006-07 season, the NBA announced today.

The nine-year NBA veteran totaled 1,138 points, including 83 first place votes, from a panel of 129 sportswriters and broadcasters throughout the United States and Canada. Players were awarded 10 points for each first-place vote, seven points for each second-place vote, five for third, three for fourth and one for each fifth-place vote received.

Rounding out the top five in voting for MVP were Phoenix’s Steve Nash (1,013 points/44 first-place votes), the Los Angeles LakersKobe Bryant (521 points/two first-place votes), San Antonio’s Tim Duncan (286 points) and Cleveland’s LeBron James (183 points).

Nowitzki is the first European-born player to win the NBA MVP Award and joins Hakeem Olajuwon of the Houston Rockets (1993-94), Duncan (2001-02 and 2002-03) and Nash (2004-05 and 2005-06) on the list of international players that have captured the Podoloff Trophy.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/46089/20070515/its_official_dirk_named_mvp/

andrew_bishop

#1 Spammer of FC
Nash should have gotten it , But of course since he won the prevous two he has to be taken out of it. But Dirk does deserve it to a degree as well , He led his team to an amazing regular season but a horrible post-season.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
No that's not what he's saying it's just that only three players won the MVP three straight years, and those players are Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain and Larry Bird, and those players are all legends, and the basketball analyst and writers didn't want to put Nash's name in that category especially that Jordan didn't win three times in a row. I know it's unfair but it does make some sense a bit. Nash did deserve the award, but Nowitzky is a good pick as well.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
Now they've made to where you need to be the legend of all legends to win 3 ina row. That's pretty hard. I agree Nash is awesome, but he isn't a legend.....yet, I guess.

TDG1987

Registered Member
What I don't get is why ppl think the MVP should include the playoffs. There's already the Finals MVP so adding another component to the regular MVP is not needed.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
When I saw this on the Sports Ticker I was pretty disappointed because I thought like everyone else that Steve Nash deserved this award once again. He was way more valuable to is team then Dirk was, and that was proven on a few occasions this year. Just because Nash is a canadian kid who almost came out of no where a few years back Sports People who voted for the player who was going to win this award didn't want to put him in the same category as the 3 legends you guys mentioned earlier in this thread. Which is total bull$shit because this award should be given to the most deserving player which we all know was Steve Nash. Unfortunatly that's not how it turned out. Hopefully for Nash his MVP award will be the NBA Finals MVP. I am sure he rather win that one.

Fresh

Aw, Here It Goes!
Will all know Nash should have won but was basically penalized for winning it the two previous years, Dirk is a great player, but should have won MVP this year.

L

leftymo

I don't think I'll ever understand so many fans who don't actually use common sense when it comes to the MVP voting.

Kobe Bryant? Are you kidding me? No player has EVER won an MVP if his team hasn't won 50 games (at least not in the last 20+ years!).

Steve Nash? At least some may have a legit reason but let me spell this out, and then apply the formula EVERY year, and you'll find out who the MVP is.

MVP Formula = Best player on the best team having a very good individual statistical year.

This formula leads to only one player. Dirk Nowitzki. I bet money on it in January b/c as Chick Hearn would say, you could call it with braille. I won. And actually for the last several years have successfully predicted the MVP LONG before he was ever chosen.

This INCLUDES Duncan over Kidd, Iverson over whomever, Shaq, KG, etc...

It's easy. In fact I even remember picking Malone over MJ that one season where everyone threw a fit. But look it up. Malone had a monster year, and his team was very good (2nd best record, behind MJ's bulls).

So it was Dirk, a no brainer if you ask me.

Especially since Nash plays with 2 allstars.