it's English.

Sim

Registered Member
It's relieving to know even many native speakers aren't sure what's right. ;)

IIRC, I was tought in English class back in school that when you refer to things, you say "which", but when you refer to people, it's "who" or "whom".

I'd probably say "whom", because when it comes to the question of "who" vs. "whom", I'd go by German grammar, which would make "wem" out of "wer", which resembles "whom" more than "who" (or in general, it means there should be a flection). And I guess if any flection has survived in the generally flection-less English language, it's here.

Last edited:

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
Language evolves, I guess. If it didn't, we'd still be saying "ye" instead of "the" and addinge too manye vowels to moste wordes.
I used to accept the evolution of language as natural and welcome, myself, but these days I have this horrible, dark feeling that txt-spchLOL is going to eventually one day "evolve" into the predominantly accepted form of written communication....

:suicide:

Last edited:

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
In a university english essay, I got docked points for the preposition. They never taught me about prepositions in highschool. Saying 'who are you looking for?' was taught as correct. It's pretty dumb if you ask me.
it's the same over here. in all my English books, using "for" in the end is taught as correct. ..

what about "what are you talking about"? does "about" play the role of preposition? can we say "about what are you talking"?

Last edited:

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I used to accept the evolution of language as natural and welcome, myself, but these days I have this horrible, dark feeling that txt-spchLOL is going to eventually one day "evolve" into the predominantly accepted form of written communication....

:suicide:
I couldn't agree more. Also laziness regarding spelling. I had an argument with someone here who said that "your" and "you're" can be used interchangeably because the context will tell you the meaning.
------
it's the same over here. in all my English books, using "for" in the end is taught as correct. ..

what about "what are you talking about"? does "about" play the role of preposition? can we say "about what are you talking"?

technically, yes, but no one would ever say it that way.

Last edited:

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I couldn't agree more. Also laziness regarding spelling. I had an argument with someone here who said that "your" and "you're" can be used interchangeably because the context will tell you the meaning.

it's stupid. just like who's or whose.
or barbiegirl used to say there instead of they're or their.

although, i have to say that Internet English Writing should not be taken seriously among users. for example, i don't respect the capital "I" or don't consider using capitals after dots. that's because i want to write fast and don't care about being correct everytime..because it's just the Internet. though i know i'm wrong.

Last edited:

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
I find it easier to remember the difference here with subjective and objective pronouns. Subjective pronouns are the subject of a sentence, and objective pronouns are the object or target of the verb. :dunno:

...and addinge too manye vowels to moste wordes.
And here we come to Subject B - Cymraeg!! :hyper:

NINnerd

Survived a M&G with Trent
I didn't bother to read past the first page, but...

"Which" is wrong. It's not a matter of opinion. "Which" is for inanimate things.

"Whom" is right for the reason Jeanie pointed out. This, also, isn't an opinion.

This isn't one of those things where you can decide what's right based on what is said most often. I read some people saying that they are all right, but one is better than the other. That's not true. There is only one right answer here.

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
No, because you don't end a sentence with a preposition. It's done all the time these days, but it's incorrect.
You know, I always thought it was correct to end a sentence with a preposition, solely for the reason that it is grammatically correct in Hebrew to start a sentence with a preposition, and most of the Hebrew grammar is opposite to the English grammar.

It's nice to know that there is something similar between them.. :)

kcdad

Registered Member
"most of whom" is correct
"for whom are you looking" is correct

But it is only correct if you wish to communicate in English. In American you can say whatever you want to.
"I have a bunch of friends, much of them is blond bitches"
" Who is that you is looking for"

Last edited: