Its English is OK.

MattUK

Here's one.

Is the following sentence correct?

It's surface is scratched.

MattUK

Wade, what other context is there? It couldn't be It is surface is scratched. Is there another I'm not seeing?

---------

My point is, it's an exception to the rule, as PretzelCorps knows.

It should read Its surface is scratched.

Last edited by a moderator:

MattUK

That's my point; it's an exception to the rule of including an apostrophe in the possessive context. Now if your name was "It" that could be a different matter! Like cousin It. :)

MattUK

But you include it for inanimate objects in sentences like: The table's surface was scratched. Don't you? If the rule is inanimate objects can't have possessions, why include an apostrophe for cases like the example just mentioned? English is a funny language at times.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
But you include it for inanimate objects in sentences like: The table's surface was scratched. Don't you? If the rule is inanimate objects can't have possessions, why include an apostrophe for cases like the example just mentioned? English is a funny language at times.
I haven't heard of the rule that inanimate objects can't "possess" or have anything. For example, this thread has posts and it can be written as, "This thread's posts are (insert appropriate continuation)".

Dav1t

Registered Member
The possessive for of it is its. No apostrophe. There are only two forms of its and those are it's and its, never ever its'.

It's is a contraction of it is or it has and its is possessive.

So it's surface is scratched is wrong.

Unless of course your name was It, but I don't think there are any people called It.

Last edited: