• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Games It's a good thing I don't want to buy GTA5

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Not yet anyway, look at these prices from my local game stores website. Anyone think video games are expensive where you live? If so then just think of how much I would have to pay for GTA.

The image turned out a bit blurry.

Prices:

GTA 5: $109.95
Arkham Origins: $89.95
Pokemon: $59.95

Last edited:

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
You're lucky it wasn't banned. Isn't it notoriously hard to get good games in Australia? From what Yahtzee says a lot of games come with a huge price tag and a big delay.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Nah not anymore. We have an R18+ games rating now so most games pass easily without any censorship. There's only been one game I can think of in the last few years that had problems being classified here.

As for the delay, I don't know of it. Most games here come out the same time as everywhere else in the world, sometimes we actually get them a day or two earlier.

The price though.... it's the worst part about being a gamer in Aus.

dDave

V.I.P.
Why the heck is everything so expensive in Australia? Do the prices start out really high and then drop? Stuff like this is the reason why Piracy is gaining popularity. It looks like everything on that list has at least a 50% price increase over what we pay in America. Is that in US Dollars?

I think it'd be a good thing if people didn't want GTA5 period, I realize most people aren't like me though.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
It's in Aus dollars Dave.

Prices do drop over time. After a game has been out for a long time you can get it cheaply. And all game stores here do trade-in's and you can buy preowned games. I can usually get games for under $20 when they are old and preowend.

It's just popular games when they are first released that are REALLY expensive. GTA5 was actually cheaper when it was first released but then they raised the price once it was clear how popular it was.

Also it should be noted that it might be a bit cheaper in some other stores. Big ones like Target. But that's the price for actual gaming stores.

If you want to compare the price of a gaming thing in the US compared to here post it and I'll get the Aus price.

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
It's in Aus dollars Dave.

Prices do drop over time. After a game has been out for a long time you can get it cheaply. And all game stores here do trade-in's and you can buy preowned games. I can usually get games for under $20 when they are old and preowend.

It's just popular games when they are first released that are REALLY expensive. GTA5 was actually cheaper when it was first released but then they raised the price once it was clear how popular it was.
That just seems wrong to me. I understand that it's business but you've also made a piece of art and should want to share it with everyone. The best way to make something popular is to offer it at a reasonable price. The law of supply and demand states that consumers are willing to buy more of something at a lower price but the business wants to sell more at a higher price. There has to be a balance there, there is no balance here.

Looks like US Dollars converts at 96% of the Australian dollar, that's similar enough that you can easily estimate that the prices are disgustingly high.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
How much is that in US dollars? Seems really expensive and not worth getting yet. Hell, I think games here cost too much. I hardly ever buy brand new games. I usually wait a year or two and pick them up when they're a lot cheaper.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
The current exchange is $1.04 AUD for every USD which is only a $3 difference for our games' regular price ($59.99 USD or $62.61 AUD).

The most likely reason for the markup is the fact that the games are made outside of Australia and shipped into the country. Multinational corporations might have a factory in Japan, the UK, Korea, China, or the U.S. because these countries all do massive business with one another. Australia, on the other hand, is a very long flight or boat ride out of the way for these companies. It's not like they can just hitch a ride on a freighter that is already headed to another country because the necessary freighter might not be heading to Australia.

TLDR: Australia is too far away and companies don't manufacture there. If you reverse that logic it's the same reason we can't, for the most part, get those fantastic Holden vehicles here.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Australia is also a HUGE country, people forget how big it is. In land mass it's almost as big as the US, but has a fraction of the population. Our towns and cities are much more spread out than in many other countries so I guess that contributes to transport costs too.

I feel like there's more to it than just that though. That shouldn't be all it takes to double the price of other countries.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Yeah, it doesn't cost $40 to ship a game to Australia. Could the mature rating have something to do with the high price?