It was a Flop

Discussion in 'Food & Beverage' started by Boredie, May 17, 2010.

1. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

:shake: Not one soul came to my chocolate sale. I had such high hopes that they plummeted very quickly.:-/
    There could have been many reasons, which include not enough publicity (I posted some papers in my area, I posted on the community e-list (goes out daily), and told people I knew), too many events taking place the same day/time, it being the eve of a holy day and people just didn't have the time or inclination to make it.

So now I have a house full of chocolate truffles which must be sold/eaten by next week/fortnight otherwise they will not be fresh any longer :(
    I was able to sell a couple of small boxes to friends and a couple more to neighbors today, and that is my extent of success so far.

If I'm able to, I'll be taking them outdoors tomorrow near the local grocer's and hope to sell some more then.

:sigh:

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Sorry to hear that Boredie, but don't let that stop you from pursuing your dream. Not everyone has success on their first attempt. But with that being said, hopefully you'll be able to sell the extra chocolate truffles that you have.

3. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

Can they be frozen?

As hard as it may be, what if you gave them away? Maybe tasting them once will tempt people to come backa nd try more? Not to mention how great word of mouth can be.

Don't let this set-back keep you from your dream. You'll be a success, it'll just take time!

4. idisrsly

idisrsly I'm serious V.I.P. Lifetime

Sorry to hear that Boredie. It is tough starting a new venture! Hang in there and persevere. It will pay off in time.

May I suggest you go to your local hotels / motels / guest houses? They always need chocs for turn down service and receptions. It may sound stupid, but I have a friend here that has managed to make that her business. Also, companies! They often need to make up little hampers as gifts, etc.

Maybe this is the perfect time to do as Angels suggests. Give them away as advertising/marketing. You are promoting a food, so what better way than through allowing people to taste your products.

Just an idea!

Good luck Boredie. We are all rooting for you!

5. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

Thanks. I'm not giving up, just disappointed. I'll get over it.

Nope, chocolate should be kept in a cool dry place. Freezing and refrigerating ruins them.

If all else fails, then that is exactly what I'll do. No point in keeping them otherwise.
    Thanks for the idea :)

That's a clever idea, thanks. I'll have to think this through, though, since there are no big companies/hotels situated in my town.

6. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

As with most business the first few steps are the hardest and will often seem relentless. Just have to keep your chin up and keep trying.

I remember you mentioning so far it is "unofficial" and Im not sure what the food standards licenses or regulations are with you but could you possibly set up a stall at a farmers market or similar? ...or even better, you can sell indirectly, ask your local Deli's for some shelf space that you can put your product on a "sale or return" basis, offer a decent mark up for the shop owner and they have nothing to loose(except a shelf).

7. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm really sorry that no-one showed up. I don't know if you have them there, but at grocery stores here, people can set up stalls inside the shop with their products as testers, and give away pamphlets on where people can buy more. Like has been mentioned, if people can taste them and like them, they can come back for more.

8. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

Aw, crud. Well, it sounds as though you've picked up a few tips about grand openings for future reference, anyway. And hey, look on the bright side: at least nobody brought any back!
    Stop it, you're killing me.

9. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Angels and Tuck posted what I was thinking - giving them away might get people enticed (that's why stores occasionally have a couple items that they lose money on, in order to get people in the door).

And you learned a few things about what to avoid next time for events like this - competing events can make for disappointing showings, and if people are gearing up for a major holy day, that can change things too.

10. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm sorry to hear that, sugar. Keep at it, though, you know you are awesome.