• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

It should be illegal...

TX_Naturalist

Registered Member
For taxes and fees to exceed the amount of the service.

I've been searching for airfare to Costa Rica. Thought I found a reasonable fare of $351 per person. When I looked a little deeper, it turns out that the damn taxes and fees are $368 alone! WTF??? Which makes the total ticket price $719! Just 2 years ago, i went to Belize and per person fares with all the extra fees/taxes were only something like $320. When did it get to be this bad?:mad:

Here's a breakdown of the fees:

Name & Description May Apply To Code Amount
Travel Facilities Tax
(aka Alaska/Hawaii Ticket Tax)

Applies to certain flight segments to or from Alaska or Hawaii.​
U.S. Domestic and International​
US $8.00
U.S. Federal Segment Fee
Per-segment fee applicable to flights within the continental United States.​
ZP $3.60
Passenger Facility Charge (PFC)
Variable fee based on airport for facilities improvement. A maximum of 4 charges per itinerary applies.​
XF up to $4.50
September 11th Security Fee
(aka U.S. Passenger Civil Aviation Security Fee)

U.S. government-assessed fee of $2.50 per U.S. enplanement per ticketed journey for security costs not to exceed $5.00 one-way or $10.00 round-trip.​
AY $2.50
U.S. International Transportation (Arrival/Departure) Tax
Applies to all flights arriving in or departing from the United States, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands.​
International​
US $16.10
U.S. Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) Fee
Applies to all flights originating abroad, except Canada, and landing in the United States, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands.​
International​
XA $5.00
U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Fee
Applies to international arrivals to the United States, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands.​
International​
XY $7.00
U.S. Customs User Fee
Applies to international arrivals from outside of the U.S. Customs territory.​
International​
YC $5.50
International Taxes and Fees
Various foreign taxes, inspection fees, and security charges typically excluding airport departure taxes.​
International​
Varies $250* Our Fees May Apply To Code Amount Online Air Transaction Service Fees
On all Airfares a service fee of $26 is charged per person for all passenger types. **
Fees $26.00
Online Hotel Transaction Service Fees
(per night, per room)​
All Hotels​
Fees up to
$32.00 Online Car Rental Transaction Service Fees
(per rental)
All Car Rentals​
Fees $15.00 *Approximate amount
** Passenger types = Adult, child, senior, infant, student, military.
Government imposed taxes and fees are subject to change.
All Transaction Service Fees are Non-Refundable.

Last edited:

Impact

V.I.P.
It's crazy how much the taxes are. It always bums me when I find a flight that's really cheap then realise the taxes aren't applied. Hence why I always try to use airlines that include taxes on their advertised prices.

Dekzper

Registered Member
Wow! What I'm getting is that we fought for our freedom from taxes so we could pay higher taxes. :lol: But I still wouldn't fly anyway, well, unless I get to decided who gropes me! :D But yeah, when the taxes/fees are more than the price, that's def totally crazy!
Btw, it's prolly even worse here cause dad says taxes in Oklahoma are higher than taxes in Texas.

Last edited:

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I know!

I just don't notice them that much since most travel sites quote me TTC (tax included) and I get the actual price. But if i go to Air France for example, I get very excited at such low air tickets price only to find out that at the end, the taxes are almost just as much!

Impact

V.I.P.
The tax that always annoyed me, was whenever I flew out of NZ, you had to pay an airport tax of $25 before you could even check in, and it was never included in ticket price. I remember a couple times I got screwed and had to put it on my credit card because I had already changed all the currency I had on me.