• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

IT - Official Teaser Trailer

Powerful

Registered Member

I didn't realize they are splitting the film into two parts, with the first one focusing on the Losers as kids and the second covering the adult portion of the book. It makes sense because the book was so huge, it would have been difficult to cram it all into a 2-hour film. The first film, I think, will be really good. There's an awesome story just of the kids and their battle with Pennywise.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I had no idea about the split either. Really looking forward to this. I have really been slacking on my horror movies lately.

Impaired

Registered Member
The book was amazing. So far, none of the shows/movies were worth a damn. I have hopes for this after watching the trailer.

Powerful

Registered Member
Pennywise was much more present in this version than the original two-parter, but I thought Tim Curry's Pennywise was much more malevolent than Bill Skarsgard's version. It's the division between creeping anticipation/dread than a full-on assault.

That said, the kids were pretty good, especially the kid from "Stranger Things" and the girl who played Beverly. Henry Bowers was the older bully most of us dreaded as young kids. However, there wasn't much character building in this 2 hour, 15 minute version, which made it seem a bit (or a lot) shallow. It kind of went from one scare to another without filling in the back stories very much. Mike got much less screen time than in the original, and the apocalyptic rock fight was much, much shorter than in the book.

It's difficult to fully connect with, especially if you've read the book (two or three times). The movie takes some departures from the book, including one big one, and it is more a reimagining of the original movie than a remake.

Still, there were chills aplenty, as in gooseflesh running down my arms, when Pennywise was sprinting for one of the kids. Beverly's dad was genuinely creepy as the soon-to-be incest rapist. The music was perfect for the setting, 1988, with The Cult's "Love Removal Machine" in an early scene.

All in all, I'd give it 3 stars out of 5.

I'll be interested to see Chapter 2 when it comes out.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I really enjoyed it. I'm hoping to get back and see it again soon. I think this is levels better than the miniseries and this Pennywise is far superior as well. They do have the benefit of being rated R though. I will definitely go to see Chapter 2 when it hits theaters in a few years.

8/10

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Saw it on Saturday and really enjoyed it. Scary as hell.

150 times better than the shitty original haha...cannot wait to see part 2.