Israel's PM speech yesterday

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Boredie, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

I applauded what Netanyahu said yesterday at his foreign policy speech to the nations.
    He is the first PM to publicly announce that the Israeli government agrees to a Palestinian state.
    These are bits of the speech taken from Full text of Netanyahu's foreign policy speech at Bar Ilan - Haaretz - Israel News

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

What do you think about a Palestininian state Boredie? It would be interesting to get your opinion on the matter since you actually live in Israel and see more of this struggle first hand.

3. Boredie

I have no problem whatsoever with a state for the Palestinians, as long as they (that includes the Hamas and other Arab leaders) are no longer hostile towards us, and recognize the right for Israel to exist as a Jewish state. There is no point in giving a state to them if months later they destroy Israel. Sure, it would solve everyone's problems if "them bloody Jews" were no longer a factor, eh?

pro2A likes this.
  4. Sim

Sim Registered Member

This is indeed very encouraging. It's a great gesture by the Israeli government, they play the ball into the Palestinians' field ... now we have to wait and hope the Palestinians take this ball.

Considering they voted for Hamas in the last election, skepticism is certainly appropriate ... but I wouldn't be too pessimistic either. Even within Hamas, there are people who realize that Palestine would have to gain a lot by a peace with Israel, even if that's just realism and not passionate love for peace. Let's just hope these people get a push by Israel's offer.

5. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

My first thought is "oh wow, I hope no one murders him". It's really encouraging when people of power take steps to make peace or reach a compromise. However, he needs not only the cooperation of the other party (its leaders and people) but the full support of his own people. It's a big task. I also wonder if some are afraid to realise some form of peace because they've always lived in violence and fighting and don't know what else to do when there's nothing more to fight about.

6. Boredie

It wouldn't surprise me if that's the case. On what will they focus their hatred once there's peace? Hmm...

7. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Fortunately, he probably has a lot more security than a lot of the leaders in the past who were assassinated for taking steps for peace. Security measures have come a long way since Lincoln (or even Kennedy), and I'm not sure, but I don't think MLK or Ghandi had much in the way of security even by the standards of when they lived, because they weren't elected officials. In fact, they might have had (almost) none.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  8. fleinn

fleinn 101010

..well, that, and they were all killed by their own extremists. Ghandi, Sadat, Rabin, ..Lincoln.

"In 1947 when the United Nations proposed the Partition Plan for a Jewish state and an Arab state, the entire Arab world rejected the proposal, while the Jewish community accepted it with great rejoicing and dancing. The Arabs refused any Jewish state whatsoever, with any borders whatsoever."

harhar.. I guess he has to say these things. But yes, encouraging.. on the surface. I know how it will be received initially in Egypt or Syria, though. And that they need to have someone reaching out (in a measured way, accepting they need to discuss foundations for the conflict) on the other side now, and an open (and reasonably non- insulting) response from the Israeli leadership afterwards.

Otherwise it will be seen as a prelude to another pr operation, to cover for a military attack in the name of peace.

I wonder if with the dynamic now, with more players and a less centralized power- structure in Palestine, that there really is an opportunity for Netanyahu to be seen as in control now, without the various arab players being seen as sidelined by their own. So we're lacking at this point a brave statement from Arabic leader- igures searching into Netanyahu's framework - focusing on a peaceful state of affairs for the next generation - rather than for example the usual "peace with honor" euphemisms..

Sim likes this.
  9. Boredie

Obviously you don't know the history of the region very well. No wonder you're so prejudice.
    From wiki:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  10. fleinn

fleinn 101010

Well, there was a small "discussion" about whether or not to accept the state within the Jewish community as well, no? :)