• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

ISPs Banning Websites

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Anyone who lives in the UK will probably have heard or seen the banning of certain websites by some Internet Service Providers primarily websites that involve Torrents. Now this is not a decision that was taken lightly and a lot of ISPs were basically forced to do so, if I try to get onto the website ExtraTorrents I see this:

Now I don't blame Virgin Media who is one of my ISPs, they are only doing what they are told and the truth is that most people use places like this for illegal purposes, yes torrents themselves and torrent clients are not ALL about illegal material but lets be honest; most are.

Now I am not sure what has happened in other countries but is it right for an ISP to do this? If I pay my monthly bills to Virgin Media or SKY I should be able to access any website I want, there are of course pages I think should simply not exist but I do not think I should be told by the government what I may or may not do, North Korea does that and look how great things are for them.

But is this right? Is it okay for ISPs and the government to do this? Is it right that legal action be taken to ISPs if they turn around and say "no"?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I really don't think its right, if the site is doing something illegal arrest them. However if its coming from outside your country blocking them may be the only thing they can do.

I don't know if my provider blocks websites or not but sometimes I see where some Youtube videos are blocked. I can't remember exactly what it say's but something like 'this video isn't available in your country.'

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I don't know if my provider blocks websites or not but sometimes I see where some Youtube videos are blocked. I can't remember exactly what it say's but something like 'this video isn't available in your country.'
That is slightly different, when that happens it is when the copyright is not legal in your region, I have had similar issues when trying to watch certain videos especially things such as Hulu.

Taliesin

Registered Member
I don't think it's right for government to step in and dictate what we can and can't see, but then I guess that's what they already do through ratings boards and whatnot. Some films or games or things can be refused classification if they don't fall within certain ratings guidelines, so that can be considered censorship of a sort when that happens.

This ISP thing seems to be another step up from that in a way, except it's more to do with blocking illegal activity rather than deeming what entertainment is and isn't acceptable for society to consume. I don't think there's an easy answer when it comes to any of this. I'm afraid that there will often be certain caveats associated with having the liberty to do whatever you want to do, and often for the sake of society.

Shooting_Palanx

The Rock is cooking atm..
I really don't think its right, if the site is doing something illegal arrest them. However if its coming from outside your country blocking them may be the only thing they can do.
Pretty much what Hilander said. I think it's ludicrous to this to the users. If the legal issue is with the website, deal with them. I agree as well with OP that we do pay our monthly bills for a reason, and that's more so over the use of services, but the freedom to go on any site at any given time!