• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Question Isn't everything a virus?

Snow

Isn't technically all living organisms viruses? Every living thing is not self sustaning, and needs a "host" to survive. Wouldn't plants and animals be our hosts?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
A virus is a very specific type of living organism defined by being infectious and only able to live in the living cells of another organism. We aren't all viruses because we don't all live inside of the cells of another, larger living organism. Your second point is merely arguing semantics instead of looking at concrete fact.

Snow

Well I see why I failed my sciences classes. We just don't happen to agree. Thanks for the response though.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
It's not about agreeing or disagreeing. What I've stated is scientific fact.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I understand it is a scientific fact, but I don't have to agree with it. Science is not a dictatorship.
I don't believe that Doc is stating that it is a dictatorship, frankly this is the biggest overreaction I have seen in some time (though to be fair it is kind of amusing), what I do misunderstand is your attitude in this, you came here asking a question, you wanted an answer, you got one and you seem upset by that.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Science is not a dictatorship but fact and theories built on research. You can believe what you want but it won't make it true.

ReasontoBelieve

Registered Member
Hi snow I see that you're new here. You don't need or have to be discouraged at the forum. . you are allowed to have your own opinions over here. No one is forcing one another they have to agree or disagree even though some subjects are more debated than the others.
You are correct that we and animals do have to live off other things. But in science to help us to break things down into classes or groups we can more specifically deal with that subject whatever it may be.
For example we consider that plants are a form of life so should we call humans plants? We can’t call humans walking trees just because plants are also a form of life. That life must be divided into its own classification upon what kind of life it is.. .
If things are not classified specifically we would only be making this more difficult for ourselves how to distinguish one thing from the other one. It is better therefore to stick to foundational and elementary science approach on discerning and various group and placing them in similar classes well. . I am not an expert of classifying all these groups and root names. But for those doctors and or scientists that rely on this data let them study and learn for the better and help for man kind.