• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Islanders get Vanek...

Crypticshock

Registered Member
The New York Islanders have traded Matt Moulson, their 1st round pick in 2014 and 2nd round pick in 2015 for Thomas Vanek of the Buffalo Sabres.

Is Ryan Miller next? Did the Islanders overpay? Vanek is a UFA at seasons end... Imagine if they can not agree on an extension.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
The Islanders definitely overpaid, but that seems to be the trend with UFA's. While the Sabres clearly downgraded by going from Vanek to Moulson, the fact that they got two great draft picks makes them the clear winners in this trade at the moment.

And the rumors I've heard, like I"m sure everyone else has, is that Vanek is Minnesota bound after this season.

Crypticshock

Registered Member
The Vanek / Pomminville connection is greater than the Vanek / Grabner country connection, that's for sure. I guess we will have to see how he plays with Tavares if that can change his mind.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Great pick up for the Islanders. Vanek and Tavaras together is a pretty good tandem - much better than Tavaras and Molson. The fire sale in buffalo as begun.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Why wouldn't Vanek want to play on an up and coming team? Why wouldn't Vanek want to play with John Tavares for the next 6 or seasons? People who are laughing at Vanek's pending UFA status should ask themselves these question. Great trade for both teams, I'd even go as far to say that the Islanders won the deal. Two first round draft picks are awesome to have, but the Islanders are most likely a playoff team so the pick ain't so great. Matt Moulson is a big nobody without Tavares by his side.

Crypticshock

Registered Member
Why wouldn't Vanek want to go play with his buddies in Minnesota who have shown they are not afraid to over pay free agents. There's already been talks about Vanek going to Minnesota as a free agent, I think Pomminville being there helps push that. It all depends now how the Islanders play with him there. They have to sale themselves to Vanek.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Crypticshock said:
Why wouldn't Vanek want to go play with his buddies in Minnesota who have shown they are not afraid to over pay free agents. There's already been talks about Vanek going to Minnesota as a free agent, I think Pomminville being there helps push that. It all depends now how the Islanders play with him there. They have to sale themselves to Vanek.
It could very well happen. Minnesota is starting to become an appealing place to play but if Tavares and Vanek show any type of chemistry early, minds could easily be changed. All an all, what I'm trying to say is that the Islanders didn't really overpay IMO. But time will tell

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Crypticshock said:
If he is gone at the end of this year, they will get their money's worth out of him, as opposed to giving the Sabres that package at the deadline.

Sabby

Be interesting to see what Moukson does now without Tavares. No way he sniffs 25-30 goal seasons again in Buffalo.