• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

ISIS May Be Printing Fake Passports

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
New intel suggests that ISIS may have stolen a passport printing machine and has been making its own documents.

They’re what’s known as “clean scans," reportedly selling for as little as $200.
http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/12/11/intel-isis-making-fake-passports-stolen-machine

Wonder how many terrorists are here because of this. Such a great job was done with vetting Malik I doubt they would ever catch a fake passport.

Thoughts?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I'm not sure I understand how Malik is relevant here. But what are you proposing that they should have done differently in vetting Malik?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
They gave her a visa even though she had made posts online in support of ISIS, which they missed, so why should we be confident they would catch fake passports and visas.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
They gave her a visa even though she had made posts online in support of ISIS, which they missed, so why should we be confident they would catch fake passports and visas.
They didn't "miss" it due to error or incompetence. Apparently there is a policy against checking social media postings for visa applicants.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/secret-us-policy-blocks-agents-social-media-visa/story?id=35749325

"During that time period immigration officials were not allowed to use or review social media as part of the screening process," John Cohen, a former acting under-secretary at DHS for intelligence and analysis.
So this has nothing to do with ability to detect fake passports.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
They didn't "miss" it due to error or incompetence. Apparently there is a policy against checking social media postings for visa applicants.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/secret-us-policy-blocks-agents-social-media-visa/story?id=35749325

So this has nothing to do with ability to detect fake passports.
Kind of dumb not to check social media considering ISIS uses it to recruit. But I'm suppose to be confident when it comes to fake passports and visa's it will be different.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Kind of dumb not to check social media considering ISIS uses it to recruit. But I'm suppose to be confident when it comes to fake passports and visa's it will be different.
I didn't say it wasn't a dumb policy, but to be less confident about one thing because of another thing which is completely unrelated is irrational.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I didn't say it wasn't a dumb policy, but to be less confident about one thing because of another thing which is completely unrelated is irrational.
It equally irrational not to be.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
So it's irrational to be logical? I'm not sure I follow that logic.

Your claim is that Americans should be less confident in our security agents' ability to catch fake passports because of a policy that blocks them from screening social media messages. That's a non sequitur. The conclusion does not follow from its premise. Unless you're suggesting that social media messages will assist in identifying fake passports, which seems like a stretch.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
No I'm not suggesting SM would help identify fake passports. But since they missed Malik why should I be confident they will catch these fake passports/visas.