is

So there I was, browsing the interblags and I was wondering, "how does the dictionary define the word 'is'"

Well, to my dismay, when I googled is, there was no quick dictionary definition in the corner like ususal.

Rather, I got

Related searches: whois iis isketch siWhatIs.com definitions, computer terms, tech glossaries and cheat ...

Whatis.com is an information technology dictionary of definitions, computer terms, tutorials, blogs and cheat sheets covering the latest technology trends.
whatis.techtarget.com/ - 105k - Cached - Similar pages

RSS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RSS is a family of Web feed formats used to publish frequently updated .... RSS 1.1 is also an open format and is intended to update and replace RSS 1.0. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_(file_format) - 75k - Cached - Similar pages

.is - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

.is is the Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for Iceland. Foreign entities have to appoint a local representative in Iceland and may only ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.is - 37k - Cached - Similar pages

IS | Overview

The Lexus 2007 IS series combines outstanding performance with optimum luxury.
Lexus: New Luxury Cars and SUVs from Lexus USAIS/ - 52k - Cached - Similar pages

Math is Fun - Maths Resources

Math explained in easy language, plus puzzles, games, quizzes, worksheets and a forum. For K-12 kids, teachers and parents.
www.mathsisfun.com/ - 14k - Cached - Similar pages
for a result. None of these relating to the word 'is'

So I googled 'is dictionary' and the browser completely scraps the word 'is'

So I look up 'is' in the dictionary, and the first definition is
–verb 1.3rd pers. sing. pres. indic. of be.
luckily, be has like, 58 results, so that's no problem, but what the heck do 'pres.' and 'indic.' mean?

Damn dictionary.com abbreviating it words into absurdity.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
This reminds of E-Prime, which is a modification of the English language, that simply eliminates the verb form "to be". Supposedly, it makes it a lot harder to use the language to vague and deceitful ends. So instead of saying "that bird is blue," you might say "that bird looks blue."

Last edited:
This reminds of E-Prime, which is a modification of the English language, that simply eliminates the verb form "to be". Supposedly, it makes it a lot harder to use the language to vague and deceitful ends. So instead of saying "that bird is blue," you might say "that bird appears blue."
I approve of this post.
------
That seems like it makes for an interesting exercise for discussion.

Last edited:

Obsessiforge

- Diderot Reborn -
yeah, shakespeare would have had trouble with E. Prime though...
"to exist, or not to exist? that....is...DAMMIT!"