Is war with Iran unavoidable?

Hi_Im_Tim

I am Heavy Weapons Guy
Israel prodding US to attack Iran

US Intelligence has stated that Iran will have workable nuclear weapons by early in the next decade. Israeli intelligence has predicted sometime in 2009.

I think that eventually the only option will be to go to go to war with Iran.

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
Israel prodding US to attack Iran

US Intelligence has stated that Iran will have workable nuclear weapons by early in the next decade. Israeli intelligence has predicted sometime in 2009.

War would be the absolute worst option both economically for the U.S. and politically.

We would stretch the U.S. resources even thinner with our current projects in Iraq and Afghanistan, not to mention the economic recession we are in...

Although atm we have been unaffected domestically (at least individually that is) by the war in Iraq in terms of taxes because we have foriegn lenders. China in particular...But that will not last if we continue to disregard other foreign powers in terms of diplomacy.

Within a few years we will all be paying higher federal and state income taxes once foreign lending runs dry. Going to open war with a possible nuclear power that is so close to Isreal could be catastrophic.

Tim before you make these type of statements think of the geopolitical effects of such an action. We can't act unilaterally in another war.

Most republicans would agree that Iran is not a homeland security interest either. They are an foreign interest, to our allies in Isreal...

Even if McCain were elected war with Iran would be a measure he would not take.

And when Barack is elected war with Iran would never happen.

Matriqulated

Future is Fused 3036A.D.
This is the exact reason why saying Bush is almost gone, "it's almost over"
is simply not enough. The Bush admin still has time to fuck something else up.
Getting into a conflict with them right now would spiral this economy out of control, not to mention that our troops are presently spread too thin today. If America plans on bouncing back, Iran is not an option. If Israel wants to pick a backyard brawl, let them.

Even if McCain were elected war with Iran would be a measure he would not take.
Disagree.

And when Barack is elected war with Iran would never happen.
Agree.

Either way conflict with Iran is a bad idea. The only reason to occupy Iraq that makes sense to me from a pure strategic military perspective, is to be in a position to surround Iran. This idea has been kicked around since at least the 80's and would represent ultimate disrespect to the international community on behalf of the US. Especially with how bad things are in Iraq right now.
Yes it can be avoided.

Hi_Im_Tim

I am Heavy Weapons Guy
In that part I meant the only option for Israel. Obviously the United States has other options.

I definitely believe that Israel cannot avoid war with Iran.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Up until about a week ago, I thought that it was inevitable in the near future. But lately, Iran has really toned down the tough talk. I read a story a few days ago that said they would halt enrichment if the West would remove the sanctions. This is certainly not the iran we have been hearing from the last 4 years.

If the Middle East is a Chess board, Iran is going to be the big winner. Recently they opened the Iranian Oil Bourse where they now trade petro in non-US Dollars. They also are building refineries. I wonder if the are trying to position themselves as the financial capital of the Middle East? Just a thought.

Of course one day there will be an attack on Israel from Iran, Russia and China as prophesied by the Jewish prophet Ezechiel. It doesn't seem like that is now, but things change so fast who knows.