Is this the foreign policy "experience" we need in the White House?

Sim

Registered Member
Talking Points Memo | Oy

Amazing. John McCain did not even know Zapatero is the Prime Minister of Spain. When asked about him, he assumed he was someone in Latin America.

That is incredible. Even regular newspaper readers know Zapatero is the PM of Spain. McCain obviously doesn't have the slightest clue and in completely incapable of foreign policy.

But then, many Americans don't even know where Spain is on a map, and those who do are mocked as "elitists". So they will vote for McCain.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
It feels like another bash America thread. Name one person in politics who knows the names of all other nations leaders... I can probably tell you the few major ones, but that's about it.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well come on... we can point fingers all day about things like this. Obama thought there were how many states? Anyone? Anyone? Fifty something, anyone? Fifty seven states.

Bueller, Bueller? :lol:

Gavik

Registered Member
It feels like another bash America thread. Name one person in politics who knows the names of all other nations leaders... I can probably tell you the few major ones, but that's about it.
Well, a fry cook might not need to know, but it's pretty important to know who the leaders of the the industrialized world are. If it's your job to govern, you should know who is governing. Under your logic, anything no pertinent to basic day-to-day survival is irrelevant and the mark of an elitist.

Well come on... we can point fingers all day about things like this. Obama thought there were how many states? Anyone? Anyone? Fifty something, anyone? Fifty seven states.

Bueller, Bueller? :lol:
No, unlike most Americans, he knows there are 50. Where are you getting this from?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
No, unlike most Americans, he knows there are 50. Where are you getting this from?
It was even worse than 57. He thought it was 60 states if you listen to him here:

YouTube - Obama 57 States

Is that the kind of domestic policy experience we need in the White House?

Sure it was a blunder but it's a non issue. I'm sure if McCain didn't know the name of a foreign leader that we generally don't deal with except through the UN, he could simply take a few seconds and double check.

Both are non issues.

Gavik

Registered Member
Is that the kind of domestic policy experience we need in the White House?
He pretty obviously meant to say forty seven states, not fifty seven. He's been to 47, plus one more to go, but not 2 more, which would be 50.

Candidates get very little sleep and are running the rest of their time on adrenaline.

Sure it was a blunder but it's a non issue. I'm sure if McCain didn't know the name of a foreign leader that we generally don't deal with except through the UN, he could simply take a few seconds and double check.

Both are non issues.
I wouldn't blame McCain either. What I do blame him for is repeated lying no matter the reality and having no understand of the economy.

Wade8813

Registered Member
There are almost 200 countries in the world. I wouldn't expect anyone to have them all memorized. I woulnd't expect anyone to have HALF of them memorized.

Yes, it can be important to know. That's why you look it up right before you got talk to them.

Nobody cares.