Is This Love? (Objectum-Sexual)

Discussion in 'Dating & Relationships' started by Altanzitarron, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

Like most people, I geuniely enjoy being suprised in life. If I learn something completely new in a day it's usually a happy occasion. My inspiration for this thread has come from a documentary I watched a couple of weeks ago. I've already mentioned it in one of Ysabel's threads.

The documentary was about people who are "Objectum Sexuals", for those of you who can't figure it out, it means people who "love" objects. Yes I put love in quotation marks because personally I don't believe that it is love. You may feel differently and I'm certain that they do.

However, the documentary had a more specific focus than "I love lamp". It was primarily concerned with people who have an emotional attachment to buildings or larger objects.

I managed to find a tame clip from the show and it's about a girl who loves a ride at an amusement park. She also has a piece of a banister with her a lot although it's not shown here.

YouTube - Objectum Sexual Girl

I know this isn't very graphic or anything, she's just watching it on her computer and.... conducting the music. However later on, the documetary follows her to the amusement park. She lies down underneath it and licks / kisses the oil and grease from the bottem of the ride. I almost spewed right then and there.

One of the other stories was about a woman who loved the Eiffel Tower. She often referred to how she was abused as a child etc so you can understand why she may be a bit messed up when it comes to sexual relationships. The documentary hit it's exploitative height when she was straddelling a part of the great tower itself. She is quite clearly getting off on this, even as children walk past her.

I also recently found out that after this documentray was filmed she "married" The Eiffel Tower. This may be old news to a lot of you but I had completely missed it.Woman with objects fetish marries Eiffel Tower - Telegraph

So, what do you think? Is this "Love"?

I would say no. I can appreciate that they have a strong emotional attachment to these objects but the objects themselves are completely incapable of reciprocating or receiving the love. What they have is an "obsession" which is not the same thing. Don't get me wrong, I can see the advantages of dating my stapler. It sits there sexily on my desk, it lets me do all the work and it will never leave me. However no matter how much of a temptress my stapler is, I don't love it because it cannot possibly partake in a relationship. Surely love cannot exist without a relationship?

Thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009

2. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

I wouldn't call it love, I'd call it obsessive. Fucked up. I'm not sure how she can blame being abused as a child for the reason she gets off on the Eiffel Tower.

3. Cait

Cait Oh, poppycock.

I agree with the obsession comment. In their mental state, they may think it is love though. We could never understand where they are coming from, unless we were them. I pity them how they can never feel the love of another human life.

4. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Have you seen this article about objectophilia? Lots of examples there including how they show their affection. :nod:

What's the difference between obsession and love? What about obsessive love? Isn't it still love?

If our affections are not reciprocated, does that mean we cannot be feeling love? I thought love is something we feel regardless of how the object of our love feels about us.

Altanzitarron likes this.
  5. Alyssa

Alyssa Registered Member

I also agree with obsession. Although obsession can sometimes be mistaken for love, these people are talking about love on a whole other level. I don't see how it's possible at all, but that's just me, and how I am. I guess it would be the same as loving someone who doesn't love you back? Which to me is possible for sure, it happens.
    In the long run though, no, I do not think these people actually "love" these objects.

6. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

I don't believe it is the same, obsession seems to imply you want the person all to yourself, regardless of the persons feelings towards you. I would say that love would be wanting the persons happiness even if it means sacrificing your own. I could be wrong here but that's how I'd always differeniate the two. Ofcourse as always, there is no black and white, if your in love with someone you are bound to be a little bit obsessed.

I'm not sure, I just don't think love can exist between a person and an inanimate object. A person may not recipricate your feelings but atleast he / she has the potential to.

I can almost see this becoming another "But what is love anyway?" thread.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  7. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

:hah: A bit. Or ask if it is possible to love something instead of someone. Or you can just really have strong likeness for things but never love them? I'm just addressing the question "is this love?" without really looking at the other aspect of the obviously deviant expression of the feeling towards the objects in the situation.

8. Jaszibabes

Jaszibabes The Instigator V.I.P. Lifetime

Maybe I'm just close-minded but I don't think it's possible to have love for something that can't potentially love you back.

9. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I'd say its more of a mental illness than love... Obviously these people have something wrong in their mind if they'd rather love an object than a person.

Also agreeing with the obsession and fucked up comments. Very strongly agreeing with the fucked up comment actually.

As for if love can exist without a relationship? I think it can. People love their pets, but I wouldn't classify that as a relationship, but I would consider the feeling towards the pet as love. However, in my opinion, loving an inanimate object is taking it a bit far.

10. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

Yes. It's one sided, and I think it's odd, but I don't see why someone can only love something that can return their feelings.