• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Is this a mental disorder?

JamesYap

I have a problem of keeping my things like my laptop, phone, tablet, mouse, etc. in its brand new, perfect condition, free of scratches and stuff like that and I know that my things are bound to get damaged someday but, when that happens, I feel so devastated, sad and angry, I even start crying, A LOT :cry:. I feel like I could've done something to prevent the damage or I feel that I shouldn't have done the thing I did that caused the damage. I feel like its not mine anymore and I want to buy a new one or, if the warranty covers it, switch it for a brand new unit. When I get my hands on the new unit, I feel fine, back to normal, but when it gets scratched again....ughh....the feeling comes back and it gets worse than before. I can't even enjoy the things that I find very enjoyable. I tried talking about this with my parents, see if they can help me get rid of this feeling, but they just got angry at me and said that they bought these thing so I could be happy, not so I feel the way I feel right now. I know these things are just THINGS, they aren't even living things, but I just care for them so much, too much I guess. I feel so stressed and anxious. Is this a disorder? What can I do to get rid of this?

Thanks in advance:)

dDave

V.I.P.
Nice thread.

I feel qualified to speak on matters such as this because I too am incredibly protective of my things. Anything I own and use regularly is taken care of quite well. I've broken one thing ever, I once threw my controller down after a loss and it broke. Other than that one instance I've always been quite careful (and successful I might add) in taking care of my things.

I don't think it's a mental disorder. It's natural to want to take care of your things.

JamesYap

Nice thread.

I feel qualified to speak on matters such as this because I too am incredibly protective of my things. Anything I own and use regularly is taken care of quite well. I've broken one thing ever, I once threw my controller down after a loss and it broke. Other than that one instance I've always been quite careful (and successful I might add) in taking care of my things.

I don't think it's a mental disorder. It's natural to want to take care of your things.
I know it's natural but I just get so, so depressed after I scratched, dented or damaged my things:(

dDave

V.I.P.
My advice would be to forth your best effort to take care of your things. If they break just remind yourself that you tried your best. I get the same depressed feeling that you refer to when I damage something. I like for my stuff to be the best and when it's damaged it just can't be.

Just keep in mind that for the right price anything is replaceable. :)

I really don't feel as if it's a mental disorder. If the things didn't matter then you wouldn't have them in the first place. If something is important to you then it's natural to be upset when it breaks.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I'm not at all an expert, but I've studied psychology a little bit. A general rule of thumb is if it's causing you ongoing problems in your life, it's a disorder or close enough to it.

Honestly, from your description, it's kind of hard to tell. Your emotional reaction is excessive, but it might not really matter. Do you spend more money than you can afford on items? If your car gets scratched, are you going to go buy a new one each time? That would probably qualify as a disorder. Is there some other way it's causing problems (for instance, do you stress out about it so much that you feel it may be affecting your health)?

If not, I wouldn't necessarily worry about it.

JamesYap

I'm not at all an expert, but I've studied psychology a little bit. A general rule of thumb is if it's causing you ongoing problems in your life, it's a disorder or close enough to it.

Honestly, from your description, it's kind of hard to tell. Your emotional reaction is excessive, but it might not really matter. Do you spend more money than you can afford on items? If your car gets scratched, are you going to go buy a new one each time? That would probably qualify as a disorder. Is there some other way it's causing problems (for instance, do you stress out about it so much that you feel it may be affecting your health)?

If not, I wouldn't necessarily worry about it.
No, I don't spend money more than I can afford on item and I only buy a replacement unit if I have the money. I only replaced units twice, my laptop, because the warranty covers accidental damage, and my phone, because it's quite cheap. My obsession of keeping my things perfect started when I bought my iPad 2 about a year and a half ago, since then I try to keep all of my things perfect, I forgot to mention that I am ONLY obsessed with keeping my gadgets perfect, I don't seem to care for other things as much as my gadgets.
If one of my gadgets gets scratched, I can't stop thinking about it for days, even weeks. I can't focus on anything, the thoughts are ruining my daily activities, I can't even enjoy playing the video games I really love.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Okay, if the thoughts are that out of hand to that level, then I'd say yes, there is a chance you have a disorder. Remember, though, that I'm nowhere close to a professional, and that even a professional would probably need more information than you've given

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
No, I don't spend money more than I can afford on item and I only buy a replacement unit if I have the money. I only replaced units twice, my laptop, because the warranty covers accidental damage, and my phone, because it's quite cheap. My obsession of keeping my things perfect started when I bought my iPad 2 about a year and a half ago, since then I try to keep all of my things perfect, I forgot to mention that I am ONLY obsessed with keeping my gadgets perfect, I don't seem to care for other things as much as my gadgets.
If one of my gadgets gets scratched, I can't stop thinking about it for days, even weeks. I can't focus on anything, the thoughts are ruining my daily activities, I can't even enjoy playing the video games I really love.
Yes, it sounds like a disorder to me. It sounds like something along the mood disorders spectrum. How old are you? If your parents aren't listening to you and you're still a minor, talk to someone else who can help you find the help you need. If you're over the age of 18, then seek help.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm no expert but it sounds like a disorder to me also. I can also get upset if my stuff gets messed up especially my computer. Anymore it doesn't bother me like it use to though, it only bothers me if it is new. I can take something getting scratched if I had it for a while.

I bet you will grow out of this after a while. I'm not saying you will never be bothered by something getting messed up but you will after a few minutes of initial shock say 'Oh well that's the way it goes' and move on. Everything eventually gets scratched or messed up.

It might not hurt to talk to someone to help this along since it is bothering you so much.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desart. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

~Percy Bysshe Shelley

I'm not sure if it's a disorder or a quirk, but it does seem like something you might get over with time (as Hilander suggested). Hopefully. Everything falls apart with time to make way for new things. Maybe there's something else going on in your life that's the real trigger of your feelings, and preventing scratches and the such is simply a way of trying to maintain control or some such? These minor things are just the straw breaking the camel's back?

Just some thoughts.